Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2018, 08:55 AM

Anyone use 'Amazon Prime'?

What are the advantages of 'Prime'?

They keep sending me adverts and asking me to join but it costs £7:50p per month. I would have to buy a lot of books/DVDs to justify that every month.

Any users out there that can advise whether or not it is worth it?
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2018, 09:01 AM

Re: Anyone use 'Amazon Prime'?

I had a bad experience with Prime - they make it far too easy to accidentally subscribe.

It was only a £25 radio I bought but I didn't tick the box preventing me from subscribing to Prime. Worse, the credit card I used was low in funds and I went overdrawn. Took me ages to sort out and I don't use Amazon much anymore.

Others will tell you of its good points, though, but I prefer buying things from Argos - you can book a slot and it's £3.95 delivery.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2018, 09:08 AM

do the months trial then cancel. leave for another month then repeat, cost zero
I would not use prime again, too easy to forget to unsubscribe
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2018, 09:14 AM

My eldest daughter uses it, and finds it very useful as she receives parcels most days ordered on Amazon. She orders anything I require on that site too.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2018, 09:25 AM

One of my daughters has Amazon Prime and she thinks it is great value as she orders a lot from Amazon.

She has ordered stuff for me and on some items you get a discount and the delivery is next day at no extra charge.

She even thinks, Amazon must be losing out on it!
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2018, 09:50 AM

When I had it I found Amazon video to be quite good. Not as broad a range of films as Netflix but some exclusives.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2018, 09:54 AM

I have Prime at present. It is good but I'm not sure I'll keep it going. The next day (or even same day) delivery is quite handy but I often don't mind waiting a day or two for orders.

Prime includes a media service as well. Most smart TVs come with the Prime Video app installed and there are a whole lot of free (and paid) films and program series available for viewing. However, I've found the app on one of our TVs to be a bit flaky. As soon as a program starts to run, the app cuts out and the TV returns to off-air channels. This being whether it's a wired or a wi-fi connection. Very frustrating.

If going for Prime and the media side is important to you, I'd recommend getting an Amazon Fire TV Stick to go with it. Even if the TV has the Amazon app, the Fire TV stick does more. With this, it's possible for Prime subscribers to listen to music of any era directly from Amazon's library. If you have ever bought downloaded music from Amazon, it is added to your library. It then becomes available to play it via the TV and/or any connected hi-fi unit.

Then there's photos. If you want to, an Amazon Photo app is available for installing on the computer. Any uploaded photos then become available for viewing on the TV via the Fire TV Stick.

If you're an insomniac like me, the music, programs and photos help to relieve the boredom of the night. Other devices are available of course but I quite like the Fire TV stick.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2018, 11:20 AM

I just signed up for the months free trial last night because I need something here tomorrow

However I looked through the prime content and there is nothing that interests me so Ive set up a phone reminder to cancel before the free trial ends

I don't spend a lot shopping on Amazon, maybe 4 or 5 times a year so it wouldn't save me anything to have it
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2018, 02:33 PM

I'm a member of Prime because I use an Amazon Echo to listen to music, get news and info such as traffic alerts and weather. It can be used to order things from the Amazon website, and I can also use it to control some of my lighting which is plugged into WiFi enabled sockets. Admittedly there's some dross on Amazon TV but that's common to all of the TV channels these days (BBC - this means you) but they also do some excellent `home grown` TV too such as The Vikings series. There's also some decent films among the chaff like the one I watched yesterday - Superman Vs Batman Dawn of Justice. (I'm a bit of a Marvel/DC comics nut).

Free, usually next day delivery, is an added bonus. They even delivered an item I'd sent for late Saturday night on Bank Holiday Monday.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2018, 03:22 PM

Hi

My lodgers use Amazon Prime, free next day delivery for things they need.

I have an Amazon Firestick with Alexa on my TV, great for movies etc, it is on their account and yes it is good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top