Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2018, 05:20 PM

Re: What's wrong with IE?

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I use Chrome and don't have any problem with videos (except those from C4, which is their fault).

Google bought YouTube in November 2006 for US$1.65 billion; YouTube now operates as one of Google's subsidiaries.

I tried YT on W10/IEII and I get the black screen, too.
So why can't I download them from Chrome?

Watching YT videos on Chrome is not a problem.
Perhaps it's YouTube Downloader that Chrome doesn't like.

What do you use to download them from Chrome?

Perhaps you can solve another little problem for me. When I see a picture posted on Facebook and click it to enlarge it, I often get a black screen too. Sometimes it works, but not other times and I can't understand why.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2018, 05:26 PM

I don't know about the vids.
But pics on Facebook, just click open in another tab, then copy.
I am useless at explaining, sorry. Someone else will help, I will go.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2018, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
So why can't I download them from Chrome?

Watching YT videos on Chrome is not a problem.
Perhaps it's YouTube Downloader that Chrome doesn't like.

What do you use to download them from Chrome?

Perhaps you can solve another little problem for me. When I see a picture posted on Facebook and click it to enlarge it, I often get a black screen too. Sometimes it works, but not other times and I can't understand why.
Sorry, but I rarely watch or download YT videos so I'm not an expert and I avoid Facebook like the plague .....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2018, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
I don't know about the vids.
But pics on Facebook, just click open in another tab, then copy.
I am useless at explaining, sorry. Someone else will help, I will go.
Yes, I have found that right-clicking the picture and 'open link in new tab' sometimes works, but often results in a black screen.

I've experimented with a collection of (five) pictures on Facebook that will not open individually in Chrome using any of the above methods.

I copied the address of the first picture and opened it in Firefox, and find that all of the pictures can be viewed individually.

It sounds like another Chrome limitation, so I'll use Firefox in future.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2018, 06:58 PM

You will find that Google and MS and all the "big boys" are currently engaged in bully boy tactics to push everyone onto Windows 10 and the collective of modern software that they can collectively use to track and record everything you do.

Currently Google has very simply and arbitrarily decided to block older versions of IE from being able to use Google Maps.

IE 9, 10 and 11 work just fine with Google maps and have always done so, but Google have now blocked them. All manner of poxy excuses are given but the reality is they are using their position to force people up the chain.

I have various versions of IE. If I try using v9 with the AA website (route planner etc) I can see and use maps with no problems. Those maps are Google maps. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the older versions of IE. If I go to Google maps I simply get a "Browser no longer supported" message and there's absolutely no way around it.
Google maps now totally blocks old IE versions.

It's just an insipid abuse of power. These companies are imo Big Brother and are heralding in the Orwellian state.

It's like controlling the media. Imagine if there were only the BBC, no other competitor media channels allowed. Ultimate brainwashing.

The internet is getting more and more controlled. They are refining the "Portal" that allows us all to use the internet and before long it will become wholly controlled and our choices very limited.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

06-05-2018, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
You will find that Google and MS and all the "big boys" are currently engaged in bully boy tactics to push everyone onto Windows 10 and the collective of modern software that they can collectively use to track and record everything you do.

Currently Google has very simply and arbitrarily decided to block older versions of IE from being able to use Google Maps.

IE 9, 10 and 11 work just fine with Google maps and have always done so, but Google have now blocked them. All manner of poxy excuses are given but the reality is they are using their position to force people up the chain.

I have various versions of IE. If I try using v9 with the AA website (route planner etc) I can see and use maps with no problems. Those maps are Google maps. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the older versions of IE. If I go to Google maps I simply get a "Browser no longer supported" message and there's absolutely no way around it.
Google maps now totally blocks old IE versions.

It's just an insipid abuse of power. These companies are imo Big Brother and are heralding in the Orwellian state.

It's like controlling the media. Imagine if there were only the BBC, no other competitor media channels allowed. Ultimate brainwashing.

The internet is getting more and more controlled. They are refining the "Portal" that allows us all to use the internet and before long it will become wholly controlled and our choices very limited.
This doesn't surprise me one little bit.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2018, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
With IE - I can't view videos on here - all I get is a black screen!

ITV Hub won't work for me.

and now since yesterday I can't load face-book scrabble.

When I change to Google Chrome all the above things work perfectly.

Hurrah for Google Chrome.

Can anybody explain why IE is such rubbish for me?

I get a black screen as well.

But think its down to this site and not IE.

I have no trouble on other sites about this.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2018, 07:41 PM

I always use Chrome.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2018, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I always use Chrome.
The Matrix has you Ffosse !
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 07:40 AM

Thanks for all the helpful advice & links.

I've decided not to bother about IE and stick with Chrome. Thank goodness I had a choice.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top