Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 10:58 PM

Those Pesky Welsh?

I am in Hughenden, in central Queensland; this is the heart of sheep and cattle country.

On the local TV news was an item about a Welsh farmer with a few dozen sheep who is worried about a trade deal with Australia because he fears it might be the end of his subsidised lifestyle when the EU stops paying him to produce lambs and he has to compete against Australian and NZ lamb.

A local Queensland farmer was interviewed and said that he didn't know about the economics of an EU subsidy but he said such farmers had little to fear, "Australian meat world wide is the Rolls Royce of meat and doesn't compete against small, cheap local sales." he then said, "When the Japanese and Chinese pay $100 a kilo what would a Welsh farmer have to fear?"

I thought it an interesting take on Brexit and potential trade deals.

I have his quote pretty right but probably if you search the Australian ABC News web site you might find it.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2018, 05:05 PM

Re: Those Pesky Welsh?

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I am in Hughenden, in central Queensland; this is the heart of sheep and cattle country.

On the local TV news was an item about a Welsh farmer with a few dozen sheep who is worried about a trade deal with Australia because he fears it might be the end of his subsidised lifestyle when the EU stops paying him to produce lambs and he has to compete against Australian and NZ lamb.

A local Queensland farmer was interviewed and said that he didn't know about the economics of an EU subsidy but he said such farmers had little to fear, "Australian meat world wide is the Rolls Royce of meat and doesn't compete against small, cheap local sales." he then said, "When the Japanese and Chinese pay $100 a kilo what would a Welsh farmer have to fear?"

I thought it an interesting take on Brexit and potential trade deals.

I have his quote pretty right but probably if you search the Australian ABC News web site you might find it.
Sorry don't under stand the topic title and your post.

Are you stating that Welsh sheep are worth more because of their Welsh Farmers?????
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2018, 05:09 PM

Welsh farmers are whinging Poms is the point he is trying to make, I think, but didn't they all vote to leave in Wales?
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2018, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Welsh farmers are whinging Poms is the point he is trying to make, I think, but didn't they all vote to leave in Wales?
Yes, well, that is, all apart from the 30% English living here!
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2018, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Yes, well, that is, all apart from the 30% English living here!
The ones that you don't talk to?
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2018, 06:13 PM

The ones that you don't talk to?
I have to talk to them in order to find out whether they're English or not!
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England

10-05-2018, 06:41 PM

I have to talk to them in order to find out whether they're English or not!
tulch dien pob sys
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales

10-05-2018, 06:45 PM

tulch dien pob sys
Nearly Purwell!
Twll tin pob Sais
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England

10-05-2018, 06:59 PM

Nearly Purwell!
Twll tin pob Sais
Pinched it off Google.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales

10-05-2018, 07:10 PM

Pinched it off Google.
You mean Google was wrong??
How can this be?!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top