Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 11:00 PM

Re: Japanese Knotweed

I found this on the internet

This method tho experimental may offer hope
In terms of control, Japanese knotweed is obviously extremely difficult. Digging the weed out is certainly the most environmentally friendly method; however, it is back breaking work considering the roots can travel so far and that the smallest rhizome can produce an entirely new plant.

In terms of chemical sprays, Glyphosate is the most viable option. Applied to the leaves, it is absorbed by the entire plant and is capable, after a few years, of killing this troublesome weed.

A relatively new option, however, is biological control using psyllid (plant-sucking bugs). Currently on trial, if this method proves successful, hopefully, it will be offered to gardeners up and down the UK.

TELEGRAPH.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 11:31 PM

That's interesting Robert - about the bug control I mean.
Hope it works because the less chemicals we need use the better.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 05:55 AM

Hi

Any plant can be killed simply by using a strong acid or alkali.

The problem is you effectively sterilise the soil for months and must then bring the ph back to normal.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 06:36 AM

I worry when they introduce new bugs to deal with a problem...they always seem to create a new bigger problem.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 09:39 AM

There was some on a piece of waste ground near our community centre a few years back and the council got rid of it somehow, it certainly has not returned.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
There was some on a piece of waste ground near our community centre a few years back and the council got rid of it somehow, it certainly has not returned.

All these remedies make me wonder why the University has been trying for 5 years and still can't kill it permanently.

Found the link about the Uni's experiments:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...d-off-14573724
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
All these remedies make me wonder why the University has been trying for 5 years and still can't kill it permanently.

Found the link about the Uni's experiments:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...d-off-14573724
That is strange because the council did not dig it up in the area I am talking about, in fact they left the cut stems about a foot from the ground but it all died off.
I have no idea what they put on it but grass is growing in that spot now so it could not have been too toxic.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

22-05-2018, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
That is strange because the council did not dig it up in the area I am talking about, in fact they left the cut stems about a foot from the ground but it all died off.
I have no idea what they put on it but grass is growing in that spot now so it could not have been too toxic.

I don't understand it either Purwell.
So much conflicting advice isn't there.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England

22-05-2018, 01:11 PM

Maybe the university wanted more funds to carry out more research?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 01:33 PM

I have just taken these pictures, of the Japanese Knotweed, the surgery part has been sectioned off,but if you look over the wooden fence,into the neighbours garden,it's like a jungle.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180522_115548.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	5985  

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top