Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 08:29 AM

Re: Rail re-nationalisation

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Absolutely!!! - but then Galty drives everywhere, so he pays twice or three times over, once through his Income Tax, twice through his National Insurance and possibly thrice through the petrol tax he pays - didn't we do well???

It's not funny UJ
I drive everywhere UJ because it's expensive and difficult to travel by rail.
I have to drive to the station which has an expensive car park if I want to use the train .
Some times I would rather not drive but with prices as they are its not feasible.
What about people who for one reason or other cannot drive ?

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...e-9678640.html
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 08:33 AM

Hi

I like travelling by train, but not in the UK.

It is a national disgrace, a symptom of everything that is wrong.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
It's not funny UJ
I drive everywhere UJ because it's expensive and difficult to travel by rail.
I have to drive to the station which has an expensive car park if I want to use the train .
Some times I would rather not drive but with prices as they are its not feasible.
What about people who for one reason or other cannot drive ?

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...e-9678640.html

Yes I agree, prices are too high, but that is the fault of both the greedy, scumbag 'nasty party' demanding monies from the train companies, and the (privatised) train companies screwing as much money as they can from the passengers.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 08:40 AM

Yes I agree, prices are too high, but that is the fault of both the greedy, scumbag 'nasty party' demanding monies from the train companies, and the (privatised) train companies screwing as much money as they can from the passengers.
Hi

nope, it is the fault of restrictive practices by the Unions.

How many rail strikes did we have and still have.

It is a nonsense.

Our productivity is amongst the lowest in the Western World.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 08:42 AM

Devils in the detail, the Tories have said its going to be temporary in public ownership, then later private investor will be sought to run alongside.

So is public money going to pay for improvements needed only for private shareholders to line their pockets. ?
Newcomer
Dorset
Newcomer is female  Newcomer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 08:43 AM

There should be no such thing as making a profit on the trains, or gas , water, electric, or busses. They are necessities. Cost effective yes, profit making no.
They should also have timetables that worked countrywide in some way but I suppose that is asking too much.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

nope, it is the fault of restrictive practices by the Unions.

How many rail strikes did we have and still have.

It is a nonsense.

Our productivity is amongst the lowest in the Western World.
I agree. The thing I remember most about BR was the constant bloody striking and whingeing. The unions destroyed the railways as they did with every other service we had.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I agree. The thing I remember most about BR was the constant bloody striking and whingeing. The unions destroyed the railways as they did with every other service we had.

It wasn't the Trade Unions, it was incompetent management. Wilson appointed Richard Marsh, a failed politician, to be chairman of BR board, the only thing he knew about running a railway, was that he had a toy train set!!!

Rail management, as they do even to this day, continue to break national or local agreements and think they can do so with impunity.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 07:43 PM

Absolutely!!! - but then Galty drives everywhere, so he pays twice or three times over, once through his Income Tax, twice through his National Insurance and possibly thrice through the petrol tax he pays - didn't we do well???
I don't pay income tax or NI but I think of others who do.

PS Have a bus pass which I use every day...just drive down to the station.

Very rarely I might drive down to Eastbourne on a nice winters day
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2018, 12:12 AM

The new timetable is causing problems. Journey to London will take longer because train now has an additional stop at Cambridge North. There also has to be time allowed for train delays due to increase in passenger numbers.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top