Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 10:02 AM

Re: Freezer. Do I really need one.

I couldn't do without the freezer compartment in my fridge; I do make do without a separate freezer, though.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I couldn't do without the freezer compartment in my fridge; I do make do without a separate freezer, though.
Freezer compartments inside fridges tend to be quite tiny and won't store one tenth of the food I eat, f'r instance how would one store a meat or chicken joint in there plus whatever else that is in there???
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
Get thee behind me satan. 😈 Ice cream, unless they do an ice cream that is wholemeal and has no fat, sugar or salt Im not allowed to eat it. 😀

Uncle Joe, Ive had to cut right back now on the meat eating. I'm allowed to eat chicken breast still but only just, and not the crispy skin, and only if the portion is the size of a persons palm. Well, more like Donald Trump tiny hands palm size . I am allowed to look at photographs of luscious fat dripping beef burgers and sizzling sausages but thats as far as it goes these days. 😁

I think after reading all the posts maybe with being on a limited food budget I would find it better to have a freezer for bulk soup and stew making in the slow cooker, plus how often these day do you see 1 chicken breast in a pack?

The guys that delivered the fridge couldnt take away my old fridge freezer so it was left outside in garden. Maybe I should clean it up properly after the flood and use it and give the fridge back.
If the old one is in working order, then yes do clean it up and use it, would be a shame not to and you can donate the fridge onwards

As you say, on a limited budget you do need to make every penny count and for me that means no throwing food away and making the most of the bargains - ys shopping stretches the budget, I got two whole pork fillets and a packet of steak mince this week for £4, all in the freezer for another day

Cheats healthy ice cream

Freeze some ripe peeled bananas, when frozen chuck in a liquidiser with just a splash of milk. serve straight away for soft ice-cream or put in a container and re freeze if you like a harder ice-cream
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 05:17 AM

As it was warm and sunny yesterday I put my shorts and tee shirt on and went out in the garden and cleaned out the old fridge freezer. Spent most of the day doing it but had to keep stopping when i started to feel a bit dizzy. Took both the door seals off and scrubbed them in the sink.
Ive managed to walk it up the kitchen step back into the house and turned it on to make sure its ok before swopping them over. The fridge can then be given back to the charity that gave it to me..

Missy. Thank you for the banana ice cream idea.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 11:21 AM

Don't be over doing things MC, you are not long out of hospital

Glad that it's working still. If you have a lidl near that you can shop in give it a go. Every week they put 6 meat and fish items down to £2 or £3 which are so worth buying and putting in the freezer in portion sizes for as and when required. Same as fruit and veg. You don't have to blanch veg before freezing, just cut to size and freeze in portion sizes , onions, peppers, mushrooms - all freeze well enough for cooking

My lidl ( Northern Ireland do different offers ) have big boxes of frozen fruits on offer this week - blueberries, melon etc, great for just taking a handful out to make a smoothie or just to serve with Greek yogurt for a dessert

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top