Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 08:50 AM

Blackbird feeding one of his babies

Sorry I have no photo but I just wanted to tell you of a lovely experience I had on Saturday.
I have an Acer tree just a few feet from my window, that I can see when on my Pc. I put feeders, containing fat balls out there for the many different tits that come here to feed. When the robins came they struggled to eat the fat balls so I hung them in a position where they could reach them whilst perching on a branch... and it worked.

On Saturday I saw a daddy blackbird taking food from the fat balls, while his fledgling baby was hopping about on other branches, with its mouth open. I watched them for about 5 mins and, although the dad couldn't get much out of the feeder, he kept working till his baby was satisfied.

I know they do it all the time, but it was lovely to watch and made me smile.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 08:52 AM

Re: Blackbird feeding one of his babies

Good for you Twink, by encouraging nature you get the benefits first hand.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Good for you Twink, by encouraging nature you get the benefits first hand.
If you had been here Nom I could have had a nice photo to post!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 11:13 AM

I love watching the birds, I have a blackbird in the garden with a deformed wing , he has been with me a couple of years
and is quite tame
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Sorry I have no photo but I just wanted to tell you of a lovely experience I had on Saturday.
I have an Acer tree just a few feet from my window, that I can see when on my Pc. I put feeders, containing fat balls out there for the many different tits that come here to feed. When the robins came they struggled to eat the fat balls so I hung them in a position where they could reach them whilst perching on a branch... and it worked.

On Saturday I saw a daddy blackbird taking food from the fat balls, while his fledgling baby was hopping about on other branches, with its mouth open. I watched them for about 5 mins and, although the dad couldn't get much out of the feeder, he kept working till his baby was satisfied.

I know they do it all the time, but it was lovely to watch and made me smile.
Lovely isn't it and nice that you witnessed it.

One of the funniest things I have seen in the garden was a Starling feeding a cuckoo. The baby Cuckoo was twice the size of the Starling and just sat there with its mouth open.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

21-05-2018, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Lovely isn't it and nice that you witnessed it.

One of the funniest things I have seen in the garden was a Starling feeding a cuckoo. The baby Cuckoo was twice the size of the Starling and just sat there with its mouth open.
They have just been back but the baby has all it feathers and is just waiting for it's tail to grow,so they won't be here for much longer

I always think that wildlife are much better parents than humans, because they have to find food for their young.....humans often just go to the supermarket so our lives are easy.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

21-05-2018, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I love watching the birds, I have a blackbird in the garden with a deformed wing , he has been with me a couple of years
and is quite tame
I have a crow with a similar problem...but he is cheeky! He sits on the barn roof making a lot of noise, till I take food out for him.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
They have just been back but the baby has all it feathers and is just waiting for it's tail to grow,so they won't be here for much longer

I always think that wildlife are much better parents than humans, because they have to find food for their young.....humans often just go to the supermarket so our lives are easy.
Actually, I think the Cuckoo has the right idea, have them but dump them onto someone else.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 11:41 AM

I love my Wildlife here, I feed my Birds twice a day, but at the moment its the big birds that are so greedy and taking most of the food, i.e. Jackdaws, Magpies, Jays etc.

I have a Bird table which I put, cubed bread, millworms and insects, then I have Nuts in the container and Fat balls in the other container.

I have a bird bath, which the Sparrows get in and have a good bath, normally five at a time, but yesterday a Starling came from no where and had a bath on his own.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 11:43 AM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top