Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 06:26 PM

Should we have an age limit on the Elderly buying Puppies.

Hi

Dog Rescue Centres often have an age limit on those who adopt.

There is good reason for this,

Why do we not have an age limit on those buying Puppies?

The Puppies will often outlive their owners.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 06:52 PM

Re: Should we have an age limit on the Elderly buying Puppies.

This is exactly why Mups and I thought you shouldn't take on a dog. If you don't have the time to care for it, which you wouldn't if you were away half the year, it is unfair on the dog and puts you under pressure if you can't be there when it need you.
Rescue centres won't let older people take dogs because they understand that the dog needs security in it's life. Unfortunately many breeders are more interested in the money, that selling the dog will bring, and laws don't exist to prevent them selling to older people. Maybe they could be accused of discrimination if they did Where the dog has been purchased , so has a financial value , maybe family will take it on.
I know from the papers I signed, when I adopted my last cat from a rescue centre, it was made clear that they would have the right to take it back if it wasn't properly cared for.
If the owner dies then families often want to take them back to the centre....maybe that is why they can restrict older people taking the dogs .
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 07:20 PM

dogs and cats can be great companions for elderly people who may be lonely, I think there is no harm in an old person taking on an old rescue animal but I understand the rescue centres have to be cautious. Surely an old dog or cat that only has perhaps a year or two left would be better going with someone rather than being left in a rescue centre. Puppies are not a good thing to take on when you are very old though, thats quite unfair on the animal as the dog or cat would more than likely outlive the person, unless of course there is a family member who is willing to take on the animal should anything happen to their relative. We have a parrot who is almost 20 years old and he will probably outlive us as they can live up to 50 years old but my son will adopt him should the need arise.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
This is exactly why Mups and I thought you shouldn't take on a dog. If you don't have the time to care for it, which you wouldn't if you were away half the year, it is unfair on the dog and puts you under pressure if you can't be there when it need you.
Rescue centres won't let older people take dogs because they understand that the dog needs security in it's life. Unfortunately many breeders are more interested in the money, that selling the dog will bring, and laws don't exist to prevent them selling to older people. Maybe they could be accused of discrimination if they did Where the dog has been purchased , so has a financial value , maybe family will take it on.
I know from the papers I signed, when I adopted my last cat from a rescue centre, it was made clear that they would have the right to take it back if it wasn't properly cared for.
If the owner dies then families often want to take them back to the centre....maybe that is why they can restrict older people taking the dogs .
Hi

I would only have been away when my lodgers where here.

The littles are always around as well for walks.

There is a World of difference between that and an elderly person who chooses to buy a puppy which could well live for another 15 years.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 08:07 PM

Yes I think so.

If anything happened to my Cat, I wouldn't go and buy another one, not now at my age, both kittens or puppies could outlive you.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 09:35 PM

When my Maggie one of my Old English Sheepdogs had her last litter an elderly couple wanted one. I was very wary for various reasons but they had always had the breed and certainly knew what was what. I finally agreed they could have one as they were only a half hours car run from me and they promised to keep in touch. They did keep in touch and I was right to have been wary as the husband passed away and the lady couldn't cope with the ten month old dog who was just entering the teenage yob time. I took the dog back and after a load of firm handling and training I was able to get him another home with a nice coupe in their mid forties who kept on with the training and loved him to bits. What annoys me is when one of a couple dies and their children go and buy a pup to keep the other one company. If only they would think it through first, then ask as often the answer would be no.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 10:09 PM

My dog Mungo is a rescue dog .
He came from a young family .
He is two so he may well outlive us but then again he may not sometimes I think he would have been better with a family with children to play with but then again that is what he had and it didn't work out as the mother couldn't cope.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 12:18 AM

I would just love to have a cat again. I love cats, but I am afraid it wouldn't be fair to the cat as he will probably outlive me and he would be upset thinking I had left him/her....

There is one other way to do it. I was a foster mom for cats at our Animal Shelter. They rescure feral cats and get them fixed, then send them back to the wild. the kittens come to a foster mom (like I was) until they reach 6 weeks, then they get adopted out.

The only trouble is, I hate to part with the babies. I want to keep them all.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 12:18 AM

Each case is different and there are 'fors' and 'againsts' for both young and older owners.
Bit like driving a car in a way. You shouldn't have to be forbidden just because you have retired. Other things need to be taken into consideration too.

Younger homes

1. A younger family are often at work all day, and the dog is left sitting looking at a brick wall until someone gets home.

2. A young household with noisy, rough kids can be very worrying for some dogs, especially if the kids are allowed to pull the dog about.
I have seen some parents putting their kids on the dogs back for a ride!!

3. Different breeds usually have different temperaments, and needs.
Not everyone bothers to do even the slightest research on their chosen breed before buying.

4. It is irresponsible, and even dangerous to let young children take dogs out without an adult accompanying them.
Do the parents ever consider what would happen if an off-lead dog attacked their dog? How would their children ever manage a full-blown dog fight?
Also, there are thousands of cases now where dogs are being snatched from the dog walker, especially from a woman on her own - or kids!

For older homes

1. Older people are more likely to be home more, so have the time to spend with a dog and enjoy each others company more.

2. Many older dogs in rescue are unwanted, because the kids want a fluffy, cuddly puppy. Many of these 'oldies' just want a quiet life to finish their days. They don't always cope with noisy youngsters rushing about, especially if they have a few aches and pains to contend with, so an older person would be far more suitable.

3. Should a restriction put in place purely because of age?
What about experience, someone who has had dogs their entire life and has a vast knowledge?
As long as they are still reasonably fit, why should they be denied a dog because they have reached retirement age or whatever?
You can unhealthy younger owners too! Anyone can fall ill.

4. Tis true a young pup MIGHT live for 15 years, but there is no guarantee of that.
Again, it depends on so many things like the breed itself, (usually the bigger the dog, the shorter the life span). Then there's inherited health problems, upbringing, having good quality food, good veterinary care etc. etc. and even then, any dog can still fall ill and die at a young age - same as ourselves! Do all humans live to 100?

In some cases I do not think it would be wise for an elderly person to take on a boisterous puppy, but there again, I know some younger adults who shouldn't be allowed to have a gerbil, let alone a pup!

Some problems with unsuitable homes are because some well-meaning soul has bought a dog for somebody else as a surprise, and without their knowledge. Christmas present dogs are aperfect example.

Some people buy online from third party 'dealers', and haven't a clue about the parentage, weaning or rearing that has gone on.
Third party dealers need stamping out completely.

Another common problem in younger homes, is parents buying a dog "for the kids".
When the novelty wears off, or they want to go on holiday, the poor dog becomes a tie, and a nuisance all of a sudden.
This doesn't happen in older homes either!

Lastly, yes my youngest dog has just turned two now. Should I have had her?
3 days after I bought her I found out she had a heart valve problem. I would be surprised if she lived for 15 years.
I could have returned her to her breeder, but I chose to keep her. I shall love and cherish her every day of her life, however long that may be. And if I pop off first, she will be safe and catered for, same as all my others. Not one will go into rescue.

So you see, not all older homes are bad homes.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 03:33 AM

I think the whole dog breeding industry is ultimately cruel to dogs. We take on a dog that has been bred to keep us company. In my view that's immediately imbalanced as the dog has had no say in the process. The dog's life then revolves around you as you have everything it needs. So I think that the breeding and ownership of dogs is totally out of control.

None of this hit me until I had a dog and I do worry about anything happening which would mean that he cannot have the same quality of life. He is now nearly 8 and I don't think I'd want another dog when I'm a lot older even though I love him to bits. As you age you never know when you will be in a situation where you can't walk or look after a dog and when there is nobody around to give him the same level of care.

I don't believe the same of cats. Cats don't need much care, are more resilient and will adapt more easily to any new home with a garden that doesn't already have a cat.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top