Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 12:59 PM

Getting Inventive

I have recently refitted the bedroom out and used a B&Q set of Ferrara Oak sliding doors, and a wardrobe either side of the bed with bridging unit over, once again in Ferrara Oak. When the bed was inserted into the recess formed by the wardrobes and bridging unit, we found we had a gap either side of the bed of around 350mm, so we scoured the B&Q catalogue for matching bedside cabinets, but alas, none of this size were available, so thinking on my feet, I went to the Kitchen Department, and purchased at a cost of £23.00 each, two 300mm standard kitchen base units, at the same time at a cost of £50.00 I ordered into store a 2750mm X 593mm Ferrara Oak Décor panel, and a reel of self adhesive Oak tape (£11.50). Whilst waiting for this order to arrive in store, I assembled the cabinets, (discarding the screw on legs) and fixed them to the inside of the wardrobes which looked odd at first because being kitchen cabinets they were white, I then took measurements of the top, the drawer fronts and door, and visible side, so, having got the call from B&Q to say that the panel had arrived, I got it transported to the wood machining section, and had it cut to my dimensions.
The units were Clad in the Oak finish and doors and drawfronts added, also in the oak, and all cut edges were trimmed with the iron on oak tape, the only other expense was the purchase of a special drill bit for the door hinge rebates, so job done at a cost of £115.00 for the pair, they look bloody marvellous even if I say so myself.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 01:05 PM

Re: Getting Inventive

Spittie - you sound just like me Hubs, he used to have great inspirations and create wonderful things. Built all me wardrobes he did !

Isn't it great when a plan comes together.
It sounds bloomin marvellous to me - a job well done !
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 01:11 PM

Thanks Patsy, some of the off the shelf cabinets, that would not have fitted anyway were about £150.00 each.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 01:13 PM

Sounds like you've done a great job Paul, and immensely satisfying to boot.. well done that man.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Thanks Patsy, some of the off the shelf cabinets, that would not have fitted anyway were about £150.00 each.
Yep - its a good feeling when you overcome a problem and the end result is fab !
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 03:07 PM

We had the same problem Spittie but we had some spare wood the same colour as the built-in furniture so I made a couple of shelves and fixed them between the wardrobes and the wall on which we placed bedside lamps. They look OK.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 03:10 PM

Well done Paul, you must feel well pleased with yourself
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 04:56 PM

I am in awe Paul. So precise & detailed. Is this a new SPITFIRE evolving? What other skills have you been keeping quiet about? Well done you.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 05:03 PM

Well done you !!!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 05:20 PM

Well done you! very inventive indeed, I just hope you don't start sprouting branches some morning with all that oak about you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top