Join for free
Page 14 of 20 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 > Last »
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2018, 09:04 PM

Re: Brexit referendum, have you changed your mind?

I would definitely vote to leave, I haven't changed my mind.
Mountaintop
Ireland, Meath
Mountaintop is male  Mountaintop has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2018, 09:11 PM

Hello JBR. I've heard this before, conspiracy theories, etc. Why would you say I would personally benefit from the UK remaining in the EU? Of course, the Irish economy will suffer, but so too will Britain's. On this issue, my country is the 5th (yes, FIFTH) biggest export market for UK goods. I know you will say that post Brexit, Ireland may be relegated down the table as Britain forges new trade deals worldwide. We'll see. The reality is, despite Ireland being independent, we are, to all intents and purposes, still very much a part of the UK internal market. But now, we are being forced to look for alternative suppliers of raw materials for our indigenous industries. These are readily available on the continent, but we never had to look there before. I am saddened by the speed with which Ireland is held up as a scapegoat for difficulties around Brexit. Like the EU, we are not enemies of Britain, we are friends and trading partners. The whole issue of Brexit is an internal issue concerning Britain's perceptions of themselves and their place in the world. One question: what if you are wrong? What if this turns out to be detrimental to Britain's interests? What if the problems you thought would go away, don't? What then? Will you still blame the EU? Will you still blame people like me, the bloody Irish (I know, my words)? Or will you look in the mirror? Just something worth considering.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2018, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
What is the "personal benefit" of leaving the EU JBR?
Primarily, the restoration of our sovereignty.

Unlike you and others, I prefer to be governed by people for whom I have voted.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2018, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mountaintop ->
Hello JBR. I've heard this before, conspiracy theories, etc. Why would you say I would personally benefit from the UK remaining in the EU? Of course, the Irish economy will suffer, but so too will Britain's. On this issue, my country is the 5th (yes, FIFTH) biggest export market for UK goods. I know you will say that post Brexit, Ireland may be relegated down the table as Britain forges new trade deals worldwide. We'll see. The reality is, despite Ireland being independent, we are, to all intents and purposes, still very much a part of the UK internal market. But now, we are being forced to look for alternative suppliers of raw materials for our indigenous industries. These are readily available on the continent, but we never had to look there before. I am saddened by the speed with which Ireland is held up as a scapegoat for difficulties around Brexit. Like the EU, we are not enemies of Britain, we are friends and trading partners. The whole issue of Brexit is an internal issue concerning Britain's perceptions of themselves and their place in the world. One question: what if you are wrong? What if this turns out to be detrimental to Britain's interests? What if the problems you thought would go away, don't? What then? Will you still blame the EU? Will you still blame people like me, the bloody Irish (I know, my words)? Or will you look in the mirror? Just something worth considering.
There is no doubt in my mind that Ireland, and other contributing countries, will have to pay more to the EU to make up the shortfall after we have left. That would no doubt annoy me if I were in that situation.

I don't consider the individual countries of the EU as our enemies, with the possible exception of France who frequently seems to do the dirty on us! Our enemy is the bureaucracy in Brussels who are without doubt the people who benefit from our - and your - contributions, yet at the same time keep imposing unwanted rules/laws on us.

Incidentally, perhaps you can confirm (or deny) something that I have heard took place some years ago. Is it true that the Irish were given a referendum as to whether to remain in the EU or leave, and that this had to be re-run a couple of times because the initial vote was to leave?
Mountaintop
Ireland, Meath
Mountaintop is male  Mountaintop has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2018, 09:39 PM

No, that is not true. What I think you are referring to are the Lisbon and Maastricht treaties. I've forgotten what they were about now, one was to do with expansion to the east, the other about economic and monetary union. When we were presented with the facts, our subsequent referendums were passed (we voted against the first time). I would just like to say, the EU is not an evil empire. National governments do not always operate in the best interests of their own people, and I don't know why you think having your 'sovereignty' back (whatever that means) is going to be for the betterment of your population. I could flip the argument and say that the EU has been a good counterbalance to the excesses of national governments. But I won't change you mind. It is what it is. Time will tell!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2018, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Primarily, the restoration of our sovereignty.

Unlike you and others, I prefer to be governed by people for whom I have voted.
How does the average person on the street benefit from that? Say financially?
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2018, 10:02 PM

You seem to think brexit was a reflection on Ireland.

It wasn't.

Britain has always had a special relationship with Ireland and that could continue.

Brexit wasn't about the past. It was about the future.

The future direction the EU is planning to take, i.e. ever closer Union , does not fit well with the British sense of identity.

Don't try to pick that apart, disseminate it, belittle it or invalidate it. You are't British. not all British are Toffs. 10's of millions are ordinary , everyday folk and working class Brits and voted against remaining.

We weren't lied to, hoodwinked or tricked.

It was a very simple, straightforward and unequivocal decision......There is no changing it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

27-03-2018, 10:06 PM

I don't know why you think having your 'sovereignty' back (whatever that means) is going to be for the betterment of your population.
It's simple. I have explained before, it is the right to elect our government.

We have no say in who is elected to the European Commission, which is where the real power lies.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2018, 10:07 PM

You're obsessed with the financial implications with no feasible way of knowing what they will be.

Many people are already benefiting because the pound has weakened and exports have risen meaning more production jobs........and wages are rising as is overall employment.

Imagine how great things will get when we are free of EU restrictions on world trade.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

27-03-2018, 10:08 PM

It isn't about financial benefit.

If I was selfish and wanted only more money for myself, I'd vote for Compo as I'm sure he'd increase my pension and reduce my taxes.

After all, his magic money tree doesn't rely on revenue; he just borrows, borrows, borrows, doesn't he?

Page 14 of 20 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top