Join for free
Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2018, 04:55 PM

Re: Scorch?

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Only if I can sell tickets for the event !
I bet Ozland put that show on years ago and it was bigger, better, hotter, colder, smaller and more interesting than anything Britain could do.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2018, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Only if I can sell tickets for the event !

gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 01:25 AM

lovely to see a bit of humor spreading around like horse s......... a well known combination that makes the garden grow! - keep waving ya hosepipes around ladies!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 06:06 AM

The hanging baskets have had to go. Such a shame but it's impossible to keep them happy in such scorching heat. Would love some of those that you can wind up and down because then you could bring them to ground level when it's at its worst.

The Buddleia has also suffered, first the frosts stunted the growth then the heat is scorching it's leaves. It's a shame because it's a beautiful, rich dark purple variety. Lavender and geraniums are happy though.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 06:28 AM

My hanging baskets have done well I water them morning and evening.
The rest of the garden looks tatty. Everything that hasn't dried up has been eaten up by black aphids .
Lots of things have gone to seed too early .
I also have huge cracks everywhere .
Jus read this article that says new research has found that watering doesn't scorch the leaves after all .
But best to water in the cool times to prevent evaporation .

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articl...07/4475079.htm
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 09:42 AM

We don't seem to be suffering quite as much down here in the SW,but I have a honeysuckle that is suffering from lack of rain.
One thing other to note is the birds are struggling I have an apple tree and the tits and Blackbirds are pecking away at the fruit on the tree.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 09:55 AM

These days I have nearly 95% of my plants in either pots or planters. What I have found is a few of my new plants have scorched leaf so I have moved them into the shady spots.
But I am finding the best thing I do is when potting plants I use old news papers in the bottom of the planters and the pots.So my soil is staying moist throughout this heatwave during the days.
I used to use the same idea years ago when I had a large garden and could easily maintain it, when planting bean/toms/lettuce most veg I would dig the trough first and lay newspaper in it before adding soil and seed or plant.
Admitted you cannot stop plants from drooping in heat unless you grow in the shade but you can keep them healthy at the base.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 09:59 AM

Hiya Bigfella

That's an idea about the newspaper, I've never thought of doing that.
Must remember it for next year.

All my Azaleas and now the Rhodedendrons are scorching. I shall lose all the buds building for next year.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
These days I have nearly 95% of my plants in either pots or planters. What I have found is a few of my new plants have scorched leaf so I have moved them into the shady spots.
But I am finding the best thing I do is when potting plants I use old news papers in the bottom of the planters and the pots.So my soil is staying moist throughout this heatwave during the days.
I used to use the same idea years ago when I had a large garden and could easily maintain it, when planting bean/toms/lettuce most veg I would dig the trough first and lay newspaper in it before adding soil and seed or plant.
Admitted you cannot stop plants from drooping in heat unless you grow in the shade but you can keep them healthy at the base.
Originally Posted by Mups ->
Hiya Bigfella

That's an idea about the newspaper, I've never thought of doing that.
Must remember it for next year.

All my Azaleas and now the Rhodedendrons are scorching. I shall lose all the buds building for next year.
Yes, that's a good idea LF. I will try to remember that.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

23-07-2018, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yes, that's a good idea LF. I will try to remember that.

It's supposed to be even hotter today dongles, 32 deg they're forecasting.
I have thrown covers over the plants that are scorched to try adn protect them a bit today, hope it helps.

Maybe you ought to throw a cover over me as well, cos it's getting too much for me now an' all.

Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top