Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Panda
Dorset/Europe
Panda is female 

14-07-2018, 09:07 AM

Pavements not being cleaned

I was chatting to a gentleman the other day who was complaining about the state of our pavements with weeds growing everywhere and moaning how the Council don't look after them.

We've always kept the outside of our property clean and tidy where ever we've lived. It doesn't take long to put dropped litter etc in the bin, and weed the curb.

I can remember my Nan used to wash down her steps and pavement every morning!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 09:10 AM

Re: Pavements not being cleaned

This could be a job for people who are unemployed as they do in Spain.
It helps the community, shows willing and makes people feel they are doing something worthwhile .
Panda
Dorset/Europe
Panda is female 

14-07-2018, 09:14 AM

An idea Muddy but I've no probs in doing it myself, at least I know its done properly lol.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 09:28 AM

Old habits die hard .... I still sweep our front garden path and the pavement ouside our house and Mr Mags removes any weeds on the pavement outside. I can’t recall the last time I saw anyone else in our road keeping their pavement area tidy.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 10:16 AM

The rag and bone man used to give white stone or brownstone for old clothes and it was a matter of pride whose doorsteps where the cleanest and well kept.

Brass knockers and letter boxes were also polished and woe betide anyone that didn't come up to scratch.. Lots of nodding heads, pointing fingers and dark looks were cast in the way of the offender....and of course there was always one.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 11:02 AM

It's probably another of the Councils way of saving money. If they don't have to pay someone to do it, they will hope you will do your own bit instead..
Panda
Dorset/Europe
Panda is female 

14-07-2018, 02:29 PM

Don't think its a case of Council saving money Roxy the Councils just don't have enough available cash and I really don't mind doing it. I like to see things nice and clean and tidy.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 03:28 PM

Everyone here where I live is responsible for the area outside their house right to the white line at the side of the road

We cut our verges and clear the gutters and pick the litter. The council clear the drains and once a year cut back any unadopted hedgerows and verges

Small villages usually pay from the community fees for someone to keep the village tidy, cutting the verges around the village, keeping flower beds tidy etc although the council will sweep the roads in villages and towns
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 05:45 PM

I have only seen one council road sweeper in all the time I have lived here. He wasn't that good either.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 05:52 PM

We have one of those road sweeper lorries here, that suck and spray the curbs/roadsides
It used come around about once a month but now it's more like twice a year

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top