Join for free
Page 364 of 1676 « First < 264 314 354 362 363 364 365 366 374 414 464 864 1364 > Last »
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 09:50 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

I remember I made a pair of 9ct gold earrings for a lady entomologist, one day her earring caught in the insect cage and pulled a small lump out of her ear, it left a bad scar but now she hides it behind an earwig.

I’ll get me coat and join you Fruity before Gummy loses his rag.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 10:27 PM

We may be lucky, there is a 75% chance, it ain't that time of the month.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
I'm vrum Wiltshire, but not "in" Wiltshire. Many people have said I am dysfunctional, but I find no problem at all with reading and writing.
I've never had any problem with reading and writing - talkin is the big problem -other peoples??

then again it depends whether dys is functional or no maybe dat is functional - someone once told me nothing functioned north of the Humber but I can whistle it in perfect pitch - pitch darkness that is!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 11:13 PM

Sometimes folks just wait, until it comes to a head.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2017, 11:15 PM

This is one of my favourite ballad songs, so true and of my own time, I think Paddy Reilly does it better than the Dubliners, Pete St. John is a lovely fella and has penned many songs, probably best known for “The Fields of Athenry” A widely travelled man, he wrote this when he returned to his native Dublin in the 1970’s.

The Rare Ould Times
Pete St. John

Raised on songs and stories, heroes of renown
The passing tales and glories that once was Dublin Town
The hallowed halls and houses, the haunting childrens rhymes
That once was Dublin City in the rare ould times

Ring a ring a rosey, as the light declines
I remember Dublin City in the rare ould times

My name it is Sean Dempsey, as Dublin as can be
Born hard and late in Pimlico, in a house that ceased to be
By trade I was a cooper, lost out to redundancy
Like my house that fell to progress, my trade's a memory

And I courted Peggy Dignam, as pretty as you please
A rogue and child of Mary, from the rebel Liberties
I lost her to a student chap, with skin as black as coal
When he took her off to Birmingham, she took away my soul

The years have made me bitter, the gargle dims me brain
Cause Dublin keeps on changing, and nothing seems the same
The Pillar and the Met have gone, the Royal long since pulled down
As the grey unyielding concrete, makes a city of my town

Fare thee well sweet Anna Liffey, I can no longer stay
And watch the new glass cages, that spring up along the quay
My mind's too full of memories, too old to hear new chimes
I'm part of what was Dublin, in the rare ould times

I remember Dublin City in the rare ould times.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2017, 06:57 AM

yes we are always part of it despite not liking it but we do of course eventually accept it and keep on moving on - we can collect the photos if we want but the only permanent thing we have is the memory of it all!
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2017, 10:12 AM

Jem, those lyrics are beautiful & awakened in me half remembered events some from long ago.

Pug is right, memories are forever.....though increasingly more difficult to retrieve as time talks its toll on our decreasing span before being called to Glory.

PS
just watched the late Ronnie Drew , wonderful interpretation
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2017, 10:30 AM

I am really getting into the lyrics of some of these patriotic songs.

MYFANWY (spellchecker can't cope with that) for instance.

One for Gummy would be I AM AUSTRALIAN (Judith Durham).

nb
I remember Dublin city in the rare ould times (still going round in my head)
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

25-11-2017, 08:45 PM

Glad you liked it RJ.

The stuff kids come out with never ceases to amaze me, my youngest grandchild (4) always has me pestered to tell him ‘happy stories about happy people’ when he stays over with us, but I’m always happy to oblige him.
Well with religion getting kicked out the window in these modern times so too do our old explanations for the ‘what happens when we die’ question the children always ask at some stage. I’ll be referring him to his mammy and daddy when he asks me that one, his mam is very scientific minded.
There is now no heaven for good folks and no hell for the baddies, so if we really want to be so scientific about everything and tell nothing but the truth to our kids why don’t we practice what we preach and go the whole hog, tell them “When you die dear child, you cease to be, you are no more and your body is either burned in a furnace or put into a box and buried in the ground where maggots will devour it until only the bones are left, all the atoms that made you will be recycled into other plants and animals, who knows my boy, you could possible become a lizard or a stick insect, worse still you could be a beetle and get stepped on, squashed and splattered all over the garden path”
Now you know why we have being telling our children ‘Fairy Tales’ for thousands of years, it’s because we love them dearly, if we scare the life out of them with the ugly truth when they are young they will grow up to be useless nervous wreaks, so keep telling them happy bedtime stories, let them have their childhood magic and they will cross their bridges when they come to them later on.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

25-11-2017, 08:57 PM

You could tell the kids, when they ask, what happens when you die, " I don't know, I ain't died yet, well not to the best of my knowledge".

Page 364 of 1676 « First < 264 314 354 362 363 364 365 366 374 414 464 864 1364 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top