Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2018, 07:58 PM

Transporting wind turbine blades

Last week we were touring around Scotland and were on our way back from the Isle of Skye to Fort William via the A87. Anyone who has travelled on that road will know what a beautiful route it is; hills, mountains, lochs, winding roads and sheer drops.

Suddenly all traffic came to an abrupt halt and there was some sort of commotion going on ahead. At first, I thought I could see an aeroplane but soon realised it was a convoy of three lorries transporting wind turbine blades. I say lorries but as you can see in the pics, they were a bit longer than the average lorry.

This pic is out of focus unfortunately but shows the length of the lorry.

These pics were taken on a straight when we were allowed to finally overtake them but imagine having the task of getting three of them safely around a mountain.

Here's a film of one in action (not my own film).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxvuMv2MED0
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2018, 08:02 PM

Re: Transporting wind turbine blades

I saw something like this on a How do they do it programme on TV. On this particular route they had to remove street lamps and all sorts of gubbins just to get one through this village that was featured. A mammoth task.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2018, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I saw something like this on a How do they do it programme on TV. On this particular route they had to remove street lamps and all sorts of gubbins just to get one through this village that was featured. A mammoth task.
Yes, after doing a bit of reading up on the subject, I understand that happens quite often. Luckily they didn't have to cut into the line of camper vans going the opposite way.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2018, 08:11 PM

Good grief! It must be more frustrating than following a cycling club!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

19-05-2018, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Good grief! It must be more frustrating than following a cycling club!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2018, 10:38 PM

Gosh I wouldn't want to get behind that .
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2018, 11:12 PM

I wonder if it would be cheaper to get a large helicopter to transport it, use chains to lift it then fly to where ever it's needed
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 12:34 AM

Roads here are full of them, wind farms are growing

Our motorways are only 2 lanes so as you can imagine, they kind of bring the traffic to a halt
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 06:30 AM

I admire the talent of the man driving the trailer. I wonder if he drives so well with smaller vehicles?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 06:41 AM

I would like to have seen that, talking of helicopters carrying things I was in a pub the other day and I was able to watch a helicopter carrying steels building a communications mast...it was fascinating. I think these blades might be a bit too big to consider helicopters though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top