Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

25-09-2010, 08:17 PM

Re: My new invention

Originally Posted by Cookiecate ->
I like the sound of your invention Topaz, a West Indian friend of mine makes a kind of dhall with lentils thick and rich with loads of garlic then she adds a tin of corned beef a big dollop of hot pepper sauce and it is a super meal with rice.

Mmmmmmm............ ** drools **

Feed me , feed me .............

That sounds delish .......... Do you know what " hot pepper sauce " she uses ?
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2010, 09:40 PM

Almost anything can go well in soup if, as OG says, you use good stock.

This isn't soup, but a stir fry of my own adaptation that's quite tasty. I had tried a Japanese recipe of shiitake and scallions that was nice, but thought it needed something crispier, so added snow peas. Good. But then happened to read another recipe for cabbage and bacon so added cabbage instead of snow peas, and crumbled crisp bacon and it is delicious. You need soy sauce and mirin too. Sort of a fusion dish: Asian and Western, but mine own!
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2010, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Topaz ->
Mmmmmmm............ ** drools **

Feed me , feed me .............

That sounds delish .......... Do you know what " hot pepper sauce " she uses ?
Just a West Indian pepper sauce something to give it a bit of a nip. I use a sauce I make with scotch bonnets.
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

25-09-2010, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Cookiecate ->
Just a West Indian pepper sauce something to give it a bit of a nip. I use a sauce I make with scotch bonnets.

LOL

But which one ?

There are hundreds ..........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_sauce

You make your own ........... You like spices , huh ?

Do you have a recipe to share please ?

dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2010, 11:48 PM

If jalapenos are too bland and habaneros (AKA Scotch Bonnets) are too hot, try Thai Hot.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2010, 02:31 PM

I spoke to my friend and she uses ENCONA West Indian Pepper Sauce it comes in a skinny little bottle from most supermarkets and she gets it from Tesco.

I could give you some really good West Indian recipes it such as a Spinach Soup or Johnny Cakes which are really Journey Cakes a kind of fried scone which accompanies picnic lunches or eaten for breakfast at week-ends. There is stewed chicken or curried beef West Indian food is wonderful but there are very few West Indian restaurants or chefs to appear on television and unfortunately it seems that food programmes are all about the chef and how successful he is.
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

26-09-2010, 08:29 PM

I could give you some really good West Indian recipes it such as a Spinach Soup or Johnny Cakes which are really Journey Cakes a kind of fried scone which accompanies picnic lunches or eaten for breakfast at week-ends.

Thank you Cookiecate .i`ll take you up in that offer if you dont mind

Are you West Indian ?

Whatever happened to Ainsley Harriet and have you seen the new W/I guy ( I think ) on Market Kitchen ? ...... He`s good
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

27-09-2010, 09:03 AM

I'll dig a few recipes out. I am West Indian by marriage, met my West Indian husband over here got married and eventually went to live over there for three years. It didn't really work out so we ended up in New York where my three children grew up. Finally very homesick I came back to England and we were divorced after 22 years but West Indian people are lovely and his family never divorced me and now my new husband and I are still very much part of the family although a lot of them have moved to either Canada or America.

We still enjoy getting together for meals and as is tradition the boys learn to cook too. I am so glad there are a few more 'real' West Indian' cooking on the telly.

Johnny Cakes or Bakes or Fried Dlumplin

1lb self raising flour
2tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 pint milk
oil for frying.

Sift dry ingredients together into a large bowl add the milk mix and knead until it is a very smooth dough.

Divide the dough into ten balls kneading each ball with floured hands. Press the balls gently to flatten them into about 3ins rounds.

Heat a little oil in a non-stick frying pan until moderately hot. Place half the dumplins into the pan reduce the heat to low and fry for about 15 mins until they are golden brown. Turning once.

Stand them on their sides for a few minutes to brown the edges, before removing them to cook the other half. Serve warm with saltfish, dhall, curry or just with jam or cheese.
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

27-09-2010, 02:43 PM

Thank you so much for your honest reply Cookiecate , you sound very happy and have been fortunate in your choices

That recipe looks soooooooooo simple and soooooooooo delish ....... I`m going to make those ASAP

I`ll let you know how I get on with them and thank you very much for posting x x x
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

27-09-2010, 04:44 PM

Would anyone like a recipe for Chinese scallion cakes?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top