Join for free
Page 5 of 28 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »
Mac1
New Member!
Newcastle, UK
Mac1 is male 

15-02-2018, 01:30 PM

Re: Gina Miller Poking her Nose in again !!

I’ll admit straight away that I’m not a lawyer, so maybe I’ve misunderstood. But It seemed to me that the court ruling was that Parliament, not the government, had to trigger the process of quitting the EU?

Personally, I was happy with the court ruling. If Brexit is about taking back control then that should be our parliament not the government.

Again, I might have misunderstood, but the government’s argument was that it could use “Henry the eighth” powers instead of a vote in parliament. That strikes me as odd. In the 21st century, a democratic government wanted to use pre-democracy powers from the Middle Ages?

The more I hear about these Brexit negotiations the more I realise how simplistic many of the arguments were in the referendum campaign. Maybe that’s just me.

All the best
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 01:49 PM

Hi

I agree that it is a nonsense that we are not ready to leave.

We sent the Article 50 letter then did nothing, just infighting amongst the Politicians.

When EU and Non EU Migrants come here, we not require them to register an address or register any new address.

Once here they are impossible to find if they overstay.

Our systems are so bad that until recently we did not even record them leaving, so once in they can overstay with impunity.

The Home Office have not even scoped the new computer system we need.

Even with the new upgrades to Calais, we still only inspect 20% of vehicles entering, the scope for Illegals is huge.

The mastermind behind the Paris Massacre, even though on the radar, was able to enter the UK, meet others in Birmingham and then leave.

This is a complete nonsense.

I spent 2 years of my life travelling down South every Friday to do Code Mapping, so we could share data, it was a complete waste of time, we have done nothing with it.

Other Countries have, try getting into Poland with a record or being on the Watch List.

Just leaving is not an option.

The UK is party to around 700 International Agreements as part of the last 40 years in the EU.

All these need to be replicated, very little has been done.

The object of leaving is not to go to WTO Rules, it is to get more Trade Deals , not less.

We have messed this up, Liam Fox has been a disaster.

There were many reasons why people voted to leave.

Mine was quite simple, I do not want to be part of a Super State run for the benefit of Germany and France.

I do not want the imposition of an EU Army or common taxation or the Euro.

I also do not want the UK to become a major player on the World Stage.

Those days are long gone, it is pure fantasy.

What I wanted was the freedom to become a different Country, like the Netherlands.

One which pulls it's horns in and protects and improves the standard of living for those who live here.

A world leader, no.

A Country which improves the standard of living for those here, yes.

I have no issues with Zac and Derek, they are EU Citizens, last year they paid here over £20,000 in tax and NI.

They are here for only six months a year, they do not claim for their children in Poland.

Those I welcome.

Rumanian Big Issue sellers who milk the system, I have huge problems with.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 01:51 PM

Again, I might have misunderstood, but the government’s argument was that it could use “Henry the eighth” powers instead of a vote in parliament. That strikes me as odd. In the 21st century, a democratic government wanted to use pre-democracy powers from the Middle Ages?
That is exactly what the Tories want and then they can destroy all our hard fought for workers rights.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->

We could unscramble it easier by just walking away IMO if we insist on negotiating, I'm finding that strange, if you leave a club you leave you don't negotiate that's what is complicating matters. Just cut free and then sort it out, it's stupidity we aren't already ready to go, that we need longer, if we knew after the referendum we were going we should be ready now to go.
We are not leaving a club and it's not a divorce. This is a hugely complex arrangement and walking away would for example mean risks to the supply of cancer drugs and chemo as well as a massive number of other medical supplies which we get from the EU. There are layers and layers of detail under this.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
We are not leaving a club and it's not a divorce. This is a hugely complex arrangement and walking away would for example mean risks to the supply of cancer drugs and chemo as well as a massive number of other medical supplies which we get from the EU. There are layers and layers of detail under this.
Hi

I agree that it is hugely complex.

It is not an insoluble problem however.

I get very annoyed with the statements that the Civil Servants are causing problems.

The problem is that the Politicians are not getting on with the job.

They have been told what we need to do, they are not doing it.

We need to get on with the job.

Brexit is not about Politics, is was a Democratic Decision.

Delivering it costs money, pay up and get on with it.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Brexit is just another devastating Tory policy. It will give them an excuse for eternal austerity.
Brexit was the will of the people.

Rightly or Wrongly
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
brexit was the will of the people.

Rightly or wrongly
twizzle
somerset
twizzle is female  twizzle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Brexit was the will of the people.

Rightly or Wrongly
No, it wasn't. It was a very close result and the 16,141,241 who voted to remain are part of "The People" too. It was the will of 17,410,742 people, slightly more than wanted to remain. But to say it's the will of the people, as if "The People" are one collective entity with a single point of view is ridiculous.

16,141,241 of "The People" are having Brexit and the misery it will cause inflicted on them by the Brexiteers.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by twizzle ->
No, it wasn't. It was a very close result and the 16,141,241 who voted to remain are part of "The People" too. It was the will of 17,410,742 people, slightly more than wanted to remain. But to say it's the will of the people, as if "The People" are one collective entity with a single point of view is ridiculous.

16,141,241 of "The People" are having Brexit and the misery it will cause inflicted on them by the Brexiteers.
OK should have use the word MAJORITY of the people.

Basic point is the vote went against for staying in.

I still say by that result it was the will of the people.

You calling it ridiculous makes you the same.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by twizzle ->

I find it sad that there are still some people who cannot accept a democratic decision.

The matter has been explained quite clearly before and is just the same as a general election: the majority wins.

No point going over old ground. Best just to ignore the whingeing.

Page 5 of 28 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top