Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 10:59 PM

Why write new threads

When so many good threads have been abated?.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 11:21 PM

Re: Why write new threads

Well SF, why have you started a new thread then?
Anyway, sometimes its because other threads have been abated.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 12:40 AM

Wouldn't be much of a discussion, debate, chat site without new threads.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 02:34 AM

I'm sorry, and I know it's just me, but I get aggravated when folk resurrect threads from two years ago and continue them as if they were started just two days ago.

The originator no longer posts here for whatever reason and, if somebody new here thinks the subject worth resurrecting, then I think it best if a new thread is started with fresh thoughts on the subject.

Those old threads are long forgotten and, unless you take a great deal of time and effort to laboriously trawl through old stuff, then you might as well have started a new thread on an old subject. Nothing wrong with that, but that's just my opinion.
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 02:56 AM

I agree with Mollie.... fresh views on an old topic give it new life ..imo.. and lessen the risk of repeating on the same thread a point already made ( and forgotten) .... and more chance of leading to newer topics ... altho' If a thread has only a few posts in it then it may well be worth reviving?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 07:13 AM

Surely resurrecting an old thread helps promote "fresh views" because it should stop repetition, if individuals take the time to read back.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Surely resurrecting an old thread helps promote "fresh views" because it should stop repetition, if individuals take the time to read back.
I'm inclined to agree with you spitfire - seeing an old thread can spark a thought process or to revisit something that happened a while ago and see if people's opinions have changed. It doesn't matter if the OP is no longer around or the original respondees - it gives us newer ones a bite of an old cherry!

If a thread is worth chatting about, it will be chatted about and if it isn't - it won't! Simple.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 07:23 AM

I'm not sure, when old threads are resurrected often new members don't join in as most things have already been said, whereas start a new thread and everyone can have their say. Sometimes looking back I have changed my mind within a thread or after it has finished so reopening a thread it looks odd I may now be arguing the other side LOL
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 08:25 AM

I would prefer a new thread if its a subject been already posted. A short summary of what some people said could be still put on by the person renewing a thread/subject that's already been done. Saying that I have only been here a year so I wouldn't know what the old threads 2 years ago said, so a new one would be fine for me.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 12:05 PM

There's always something different to say about old subjects, after all there are only three original jokes, sex, race, and misfortune, forget where I read that, all the rest are spin offs and with the PC laws in place, disguises of the originals, a man slipping on a banana skin will still make people laugh today, same as a cave man slipping on dinosaur crap, his misfortune but still funny to anyone watching. Some things never really change, just different versions to suit the times we live in, so why not let us all hear the new members views on old subjects?, new thread or old what's the difference?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top