Join for free
Page 5 of 15 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2015, 01:09 PM

Re: Burqa ban

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Ah, but isn't that the question Meg? They already wear them because it is dictated to them.
Exactly Mups but by having a blanket ban we would be doing the same, dictating what people can and can't wear.
I am assuming what people object to is not in actual fact the burqa as a whole but the face-veiling portion the niqab otherwise looking at the posts here nuns/priests /anyone in a long dresses is in trouble
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2015, 01:19 PM

Yes the 'whole' face veiling is it for me ......
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2015, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
I respect your post 'but' its silly notion all the same
Why on earth would it lead to a ban on other clothes - its 'obvious' why a ban would be worthwhile on this .........
I think secretly the women would want it too, because its all about control by the men
Because any restriction on our rights is something to really think about carefully and not make decisions on fear because it does tend to start with one thing and move onto others. I want complete freedom to wear whatever I want - dress as batman or a 70s hippy or even a mini skirt should I feel the need, I don't want the government saying what I can wear.

It also isn't always control by men, I know women whose men do not approve of the wearing of the burka but their wife insists. It is not all woman being controlled by men that is a bit of a myth.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2015, 01:32 PM

There was a thread on here recently about the Cannes film festival and women being 'dictated to ' about the shoes they were allowed to wear and a lot of people thought that was wrong. I wonder how many of those people are now saying in this thread that we should be dictating what women can wear
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2015, 01:41 PM

I'm all burqa'd out ..............
I haven't been swayed at all - don't like them, see no point to them - only 2 eyes staring at me through slits ...........
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2015, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
There was a thread on here recently about the Cannes film festival and women being 'dictated to ' about the shoes they were allowed to wear and a lot of people thought that was wrong. I wonder how many of those people are now saying in this thread that we should be dictating what women can wear
Yes that is odd. I think we should have a real think before we dictate clothing to anyone. I have heard on this forum someone say long skirted women as an insult really and chose not to respond as I wear maxi skirts and dresses all the time - my choice I don't want anyone to say I can't.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

24-05-2015, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
I'm all burqa'd out ..............
I haven't been swayed at all - don't like them, see no point to them - only 2 eyes staring at me through slits ...........
I don't like lots of things Patsy children with pierced ears /boys with their jeans half way down their legs with their underpants showing/ overweight people of both sexes in tight trouser showin rolls of fat all over the place. I see no point in any of them Maybe we could ban them all
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

24-05-2015, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I don't like lots of things Patsy children with pierced ears /boys with their jeans half way down their legs with their underpants showing/ overweight people of both sexes in tight trouser showin rolls of fat all over the place. Maybe we could ban them all

Now you're being silly
If you've read the rest of me posts, I have given valid reasons, I'm not asking you to agree with them now am I ..........
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

24-05-2015, 01:55 PM

I do understand your stance Patsy it's just I am more afraid of the laws that could come from it than the few women who wear a face covering being allowed to carry on. I think we really need to educate young women and men so they realise in this country they have rights and responsibilities and giving them a choice to wear what they want.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

24-05-2015, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Yes that is odd. I think we should have a real think before we dictate clothing to anyone. I have heard on this forum someone say long skirted women as an insult really and chose not to respond as I wear maxi skirts and dresses all the time - my choice I don't want anyone to say I can't.
Julie I have worn long skirts for twenty years , it is my choice and I am harming no one.
I find them very practical to wear, cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

People everywhere should be free to choose what they wear, religion has nothing to do with this principle .
The exception I made was in court/ security check when people should expect to comply.
I will add to this a uniform which helps people to distinguish those who belong to one group from another but people do have choice whether to join a group or not (eg the services and public services)

Page 5 of 15 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top