Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2018, 08:57 PM

Re: Bought Bread

Kingsmill 50/50

Ingredients: Wheat Flour (34%) (with Calcium, Iron, Niacin (B3), and Thiamin (B1)), Wholemeal Wheat Flour (34%),
Water, Yeast, Salt, Vinegar, Vegetable Oils (Rapeseed, Sustainable Palm), Emulsifiers: E471, E472e, E481,
Soya Flour, Preservative: Calcium Propionate (added to inhibit mould growth), Flour Treatment Agent: Ascorbic Acid

Originally Posted by Nicol
Not recommending it but for me it's the only bread that doesn't spark off my IBS.
I wouldn't touch this with a barge pole myself. All those 'E' numbers and preservatives.

Originally Posted by Nicol
As for making my own....life is too short
An interesting take on life. Personally I find the 8 to 10 mins that I spend making a great healthy long fermented sourdough absolutely satisfying and well spent.

The key to proper healthy bread is to ferment the dough/flour for many hours. That will NEVER be the case with the absolute crap in the supermarkets and that is doubtless why most of it irritates your IBS.

The nature of the flour changes with long fermentation, it becomes very easily digestible and it's how bread is supposed to be. I recommend you visit an artisan bakery and pick up some of their bread or have a go at your own.

Really and truthfully, life is too short NOT to learn something as basic as making good bread. It's a worthy skill to acquire, a life skill, and it connects you with the Earth and nature.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2018, 11:15 PM

Maybe you should go for rye bread or something like German pumpernickel. The regular processed bread in the shops is full of toxins and stuff to make your gut slow down. Gluten slows the whole system down too. However much fibre you eat, gluten will be like superglue stopping it from getting through the gut quickly.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2018, 02:04 PM

Warburton's seeded five seed batch...if I can't get it, Tesco do their own multiseed batch version for 85p - excellent value for 800g.

I'd love to make my own.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2018, 03:13 PM

We have thick sliced brown bread from Tesco.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2018, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Warburton's seeded five seed batch...if I can't get it.
Covered that one on the previous page. It's full of 'E' numbers and preservatives.

Emulsifiers: E471, E472e; Soya Flour, Wheat Gluten, Preservative: Calcium Propionate; Flour Treatment Agent: Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C ).

Make your own.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2018, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

I wouldn't touch this with a barge pole myself. All those 'E' numbers and preservatives.

Would be a boring old world if we were all alike

An interesting take on life.

Really and truthfully, life is too short NOT to learn something as basic as making good bread. It's a worthy skill to acquire, a life skill, and it connects you with the Earth and nature.
I have enough basic skills thanks but zero interest in cooking or baking. I'd rather watch paint dry (literally).
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

16-05-2018, 08:41 PM

Today's Sourdough Loaf fresh from the oven

Bread flour, Rye Flour, Malted Flour, Wild Yeast, Water, Salt

Good honest tasty wholesome bread.

This took no more than 10 mins of my personal time.

Nature and the oven did everything else.

Why would you eat crap with 'E' numbers, preservatives and chemicals in it when you can make something like this with such little personal effort?!
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2018, 09:42 PM

I agree with you RS, but some seem to survive on supermarket "bread" ?

Tempted at one time to splash out on a Panasonic bread maker......
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2018, 09:52 PM

Morrison's own bread is very good.
I like their Spelt and Rye bread it's delicious!
Kingsmill Tasty Wholemeal is nice too.
I find I waste a lot of it though as I only eat a little and my freezer is small with no room for it.
I wish they did small loaves.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

16-05-2018, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dobra ->
Tempted at one time to splash out on a Panasonic bread maker......
Don't do it ! Just make your own from scratch. Far more versatile and satisfying. Only takes 10mins !

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top