Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2017, 12:45 PM

Re: New years honours. (Nick Clegg)

Originally Posted by Devo ->
People get ennobled for bunging the Tory party a lot of money. Clegg was the leader of a political party and the deputy Prime Minister in the coalition. I would say CVlegg is the more deserving by light years, whatever you might think fo his politics. And certainly more deserving than Farage who seems to be very upset at not having his virtues (neo-fascism, lying, self-publicity, hypocrisy, etc, etc) officially recognised.
Seems odd then Devo that the Tories are in a minority in the HOL don't you think?

As for Clegg he was a disaster in government, there cannot be a more self absorbed duplicitous useless naive inept man to have graced the political scene in recent years, and a perfect example of a complete failure to both his constituents and his party

Personally I don't think any failed politician should be enobled, and if the HOL is to exist at all it should be graced by people of stature and proven expertise, not just a continuation of the gravy train for all, regardless of merit.
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2017, 12:59 PM

Few top politicians bow out at the top of their game, they end up failures, ousted by their allies or the electorate, the knighthood or whatever a consolation prize.

The Tories are not in the minority in the HoL. According to the official website, the split is...
Tory 199, Crossbench 150, Labour 194, LibDem, 96 and then various minor parties/unaffiliated.
So, no majority for any party and it depends on how the crossbenchers split to decide which side wins.

I am completely in favour of the abolition of the HoL along with the monarchy but as long as it is a reward for services rendered that is not likely to happen any time soon.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2017, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
And to add insult to injury, his book about turning back `Brexit` has been voted into first place on the HoC reading list. Just goes to show where their loyalties lie.

I've just signed a petition to have the knighthood decision reversed.
Any chance of a link please Judd?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2017, 01:31 PM

I heard this news on Tuesday whilst driving up to Essex. It did make me chuckle.

What the hell did this bloke ever do?
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2017, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Devo ->
Few top politicians bow out at the top of their game, they end up failures, ousted by their allies or the electorate, the knighthood or whatever a consolation prize.

The Tories are not in the minority in the HoL. According to the official website, the split is...
Tory 199, Crossbench 150, Labour 194, LibDem, 96 and then various minor parties/unaffiliated.
So, no majority for any party and it depends on how the crossbenchers split to decide which side wins.

I am completely in favour of the abolition of the HoL along with the monarchy but as long as it is a reward for services rendered that is not likely to happen any time soon.
I agree with the above.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2017, 02:24 PM

For many years all parties once in power have misused the honours list to the point it's meaningless now. Sad really I think it used to be a good thing but has been ruined.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2017, 02:26 PM

What's the betting this pygmy is only being enobled by the idiots so that he can cause more mischief in the Lords when it comes to voting re Brexit.
He, of course, follows Sir Vince Cable, Sir Ed Davy and Sir Danny Alexander, all lose-a-lot cronies, and all of whom were in the Coalition Government on Cleggy's team.

This lot have no shame. It would be very interesting to find out which muppets were the decision makers that choose Cleggy to be knighted?
What, for goodness sake, have this motley crew ever done to deserve such an award? And where is Nigel's Knighthood for his crusade in returning this country to us, it's people?

The latest is that one Lord (Lord Farmer) has even had the gall to complain that he and all other Lords cannot manage on the £300 per day allowance, plus travel expenses!!

Someone pass the Sick Bag please.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2017, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
What's the betting this pygmy is only being enobled by the idiots so that he can cause more mischief in the Lords when it comes to voting re Brexit.
He, of course, follows Sir Vince Cable, Sir Ed Davy and Sir Danny Alexander, all lose-a-lot cronies, and all of whom were in the Coalition Government on Cleggy's team.

If I believed in conspiracies I would think Clegg has been put in the HOL deliberately to try to prevent us leaving the EU he has said often enough he will stop our departure if he can . He will now join the likes of Professor Winston who indicated on Question Time that he also would stop our leaving the EU if he can.
We now have an all party group of troublemakers in the HOL who can't be voted out at the next election..
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

28-12-2017, 02:34 PM

Personally, I don't think anyone should be honoured for doing a job they get well paid for. It's those that go above and beyond that should qualify.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2017, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Personally, I don't think anyone should be honoured for doing a job they get well paid for. It's those that go above and beyond that should qualify.

Hear, Hear LD, it should, and once was, an honour justly deserving for deeds carried out by unsung heroes. Now the HOL is nothing but a joke to most people, but it still doesn't stop the damage that can be done in that shameless building by the likes of totally undeserving losers such as Clegg, Cable, Davey and Alexander when it comes to our democracy.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top