Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2018, 09:23 AM

Sudan has died

Sudan the last male Northern White rhino has died .

https://www.wwf.org.uk/updates/last-...c&pc=AQK001002
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2018, 09:26 AM

Re: Sudan has died

That is sad news
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2018, 09:43 AM

A sad day but inevitable
Another example of human stupidity hunting a creature to extinction....
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2018, 09:45 AM

The poor thing lived in a zoo in the Czech Republic for most of his life otherwise he would have been dead long before .
All the rhinos of this sub species in Africa were wiped out by poachers .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2018, 02:27 PM

I have just been reading this very sad news. His species was hunted almost to extinction for Chinese medicines and dagger handles in Yemen.

Somehow the extinction for the African hunters themselves is not so sad.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2018, 01:49 PM

Extinct after millions of years ! We are on a path to self destruction.

We can also lay blame at many doors, but the international aid still gets delivered to these corrupt countries that are happy with the trade in ivory, skins, rhino horn and trophy hunting.

It's is surprising to see how few have responded to this topic, and that probably indicates that not too many are bothered or interested.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 09:53 PM

Just seen this, Muddy, and feel very sad. Humans are really the cruelest of all animals. I wish there was a way of making poachers extinct !
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 10:58 AM

Sudan's Story, written by James Mwenda.
James was Sudan's carer for his final days .

James Mwenda 21 March 2018

Good bye Sudan,I don't need to say it here that I loved you.you know it well from all the talks and the moments we had together,being with you for the last few years completely changed me,and as you taught me daily I continued to teach and inspire my fellow humans to be conscious and sensitive of our environment.i promised to be your voice(I ain't sure whether I duly and diligently fulfilled that) but I did my best.

When I look back,In my years of caretaking you,my sadness and the essence of losing you is overcome by a contentment that I gave you all the best.Sudan I don't regret anything as deep within my heart I gave you everything.

What I regret most,is whether my fellow humanity has learned from your existence.i tried as much to help them hear you through my thoughts and the lessons I learned through our personal day to day life,though still my voice has been small,I have testimonies that you have left an imprint in the hearts of many especially those I interacted with.

If I was powerful in the face of earth and conservation world 19/04/18 would be "Sudan,the legend day" a day when parents should take their kids out and teach them how and why we need to embrace the environment.a day where a pic of Sudan could be presented in classroom and have the kids draw Him,so that they are conscious of extinction and how Sudan's existence meant.a day what we could ask those we know what they knew about the environment.

I never expected to hear a thank you from you,no rewards,no clapping for congratulations,no job well done words,and no praise for it.sometimes the commitment,sacrifice and love of an animal can only be know by the animal,God and the caretaker only.catalyzed by the bond they share and the affection
All I can ask you is your blessing buddy,that blessing means everything to me,old as you were I celebrate your live well lived.

On the other side of life.greet Lola,Saut,Nasima,Nabire and the rest of the rhinos,tell them that some humans still upholds the madness that rhino horn is a cure.but their are others that still are fighting for your future.

The big question is what does Sudan's existence and His death mean to you? Let us all purpose to learn.

I will try my best to honor all that we talked about and live for what you have taught me

R.I.P Sudan

Photo credit : The last male standing documentary film
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 12:40 PM

That is such a moving story, Puddle Duck - thank you !
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 09:22 PM

I believe there are two northern white rhino females left and there is stored semen from Sudan. I understand some of the white rhino eggs will be taken, fertilised (in the lab.) and then introduced into the uterus of southern white rhinos in the hope of obtaining a northern white rhino calf. I believe this work has already started, but no success yet. Last ditch effort to avoid complete extinction, although it is probably likely these calves (if successful) will never be free in the wild. It's a great tragedy, but I am afraid many other animals are well on the way towards the same ending.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top