Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2015, 05:44 PM

Squeaky Wooden Slats on Kingsize Bed

Does anyone know a sure-fire way of stopping those slats on modern bedsteads from squeaking every time you move on them?

We bought this bed about three years ago, with mattress which we chose from a supplier we had used several times before and all was fine until fairly recently my wife started complaining about the squeaks!

So far we have tried talcum powder (Recommended by a nice lad in IKEA!), furniture polish and candle wax, and that's after I checked all the screws to make sure it wasn't just a loose screw or hex-headed bolt.

We can't ask the supplier because, much to local disbelief, it's gone bust after nearly 30 years serving us in our town.

I've now tried toilet tissue too - placed under the plastic grippers which push-fit into the holes in the frame as that seemed to be the source of most of the noises but although it did reduce the noise a little, the subdued clicks are just as aggravating!

The problem is for my wife as I cannot hear these noises when I take my aids off so any ideas on how to kerb this annoying problem would be appreciated.

At the moment I've stuffed another duvet under the mattress to see how that works - the clicks aren't as loud.... but they are still clicks.................. stevmk2
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2015, 05:51 PM

Re: Squeaky Wooden Slats on Kingsize Bed

OK I daren't make a suggestion anyone else brave enough?
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2015, 05:53 PM

PMSL....I've just come from the 'tall story' thread...so I'm saying nuffink heh heh...Sorry Steve.:~)
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2015, 05:55 PM

I shall be diplomatic
Does the duvet not work then Steve - should do really
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2015, 06:05 PM

it's caused by two slats rubbing together. Just take the mattress off and see where they touch, then put a piece of an old towel where they contact (maybe staple it in place). Problem solved!
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2015, 06:12 PM

WD40 cures any squeak ,,but dont let it get on your mattress or it will look like you had an accident,OR put another slat in to take the pressure off the noisy one.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2015, 06:26 PM

I'm sorry Stevmk2, my imagination will not allow me to comment!
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2015, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
I'm sorry Stevmk2, my imagination will not allow me to comment!
Me neither. Sorry Steve, but I've a "Carry on" sense of humour

Squeaky beds?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2015, 08:31 PM

Me neither but horizontal jogging comes to mind.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2015, 09:44 PM

My lips are sealed on the grounds that I might incriminate myself.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top