Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2015, 08:18 PM

Screws

I must have 5000 screws in various biscuit tins in the garage yet if I am doing a little job and lose a screw I can never find one of the required size

I spend hours rooting through the tins looking for the right size screw turning a short task into a long one..ahhhhhh....
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2015, 08:44 PM

Re: Screws

The alternative is to get into your car, drive to the nearest DIY shop, pay £1 for a pack of screws then drive back home ..... which is easiest ?
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2015, 08:50 PM

My hubby bought some screws from Wilkinson's yesterday, were your fill a bag for £1.99 i think everyone has the same problem
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2015, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
The alternative is to get into your car, drive to the nearest DIY shop, pay £1 for a pack of screws then drive back home ..... which is easiest ?
.....when you are covered is dust and paint Alan it is not so easy and you can bet if I did I would run into someone I know ....
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2015, 09:11 PM

I have about three biscuit tins full of various screws Meg and have the same problem looking for the one I need, but I am comforted in the knowledge that it is in there somewhere, besides with this heatwave coming on it can be glorious sitting out in the garden with a biscuit tin on your lap sorting out screws.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2015, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I spend hours rooting through the tins looking for the right size screw turning a short task into a long one..ahhhhhh....
Meg I had this frustration for many years then I decided 'to hell with it' I'm going to solve this problem.

Step 1 - Buy one of those cabinets with small plastic draws.
Step 2 - Buy the screws in popular sizes (Length & No.)
Step 3 - Place them in the individual draws
Step 4 - Throw the tin of mixed screws inherited over a lifetime in the bin

The initial cost was about £50 but I can honestly say that for the last six years I've never needed to buy any screws and every time I want one it takes me about half a minute to find it. Best thing I ever did.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

12-04-2015, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Meg I had this frustration for many years then I decided 'to hell with it' I'm going to solve this problem.

Step 1 - Buy one of those cabinets with small plastic draws.
Step 2 - Buy the screws in popular sizes (Length & No.)
Step 3 - Place them in the individual draws
Step 4 - Throw the tin of mixed screws inherited over a lifetime in the bin

The initial cost was about £50 but I can honestly say that for the last six years I've never needed to buy any screws and every time I want one it takes me about half a minute to find it. Best thing I ever did.
£50 good god man , I am not made of money
I don't use that many screws..
I will ask Jem for one next time, he seems to have plenty..
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2015, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
£50 good god man , I am not made of money
I don't use that many screws..
I will ask Jem for one next time, he seems to have plenty..
So why have you got 5000 of the things? , roll of those small plastic freezer bags, then sort said screws into bags by size. Hours of entertainment better than the TV and more environmentally friendly.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

13-04-2015, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
So why have you got 5000 of the things? , roll of those small plastic freezer bags, then sort said screws into bags by size. Hours of entertainment better than the TV and more environmentally friendly.
40 + years worth of DIY Nom
I quickly learnt DIY when I got married, my husband like so many clever men had a brilliant mind but lacked the DIY gene.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2015, 11:53 AM

I always say a good screw costs a bit more but it leaves one satisfied with the job.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top