Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2015, 11:21 PM

Green algae

My garden shed always gets green algae along one wall,
which is a nuisance when I want to Cuprinol it. You can't just paint over it because it starts showing through again in no time.

Does anyone happen to know an easy way to remove the green stuff before I paint this year please?
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2015, 11:28 PM

Re: Green algae

I have the same problem, I've been told the best product to clear it is Jeyes Fluid, not the basic type, there's one for patios, they sell it in Home Bargains and other discount stores much cheaper than B&Q, just under £7
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2015, 09:46 PM

Honey, a friend came and washed the shed walls with Bi-carb and water.
Brilliant, all green gone. Shed now painted again.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2015, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
I have the same problem, I've been told the best product to clear it is Jeyes Fluid, not the basic type, there's one for patios, they sell it in Home Bargains and other discount stores much cheaper than B&Q, just under £7
Maybe that's a similar formula to Patio Magic. which I swear by. It doesn't have an instant effect but spread it once a year over patios wood panelling (sheds) and walls with algae on. Over a time, it gets rid of the green and keeps it that way. I do my green areas every Spring.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

29-04-2015, 11:13 PM

Well I was pleased with the result Mart, and being as it was a lovely warm sunny day, it dried in no time and we were able to paint the same day. I'd certainly use it again.
I have to be careful what's used for 2 reasons.
One is I don't want nearby plants damaged and -
Two us, I don't want anything that might harm my dogs.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2015, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Honey, a friend came and washed the shed walls with Bi-carb and water.
Brilliant, all green gone. Shed now painted again.
Mups I've done that too but eventually it comes back!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2015, 11:58 PM

Ah right Mups. I think Patio Magic is OK with pets. Our daughter comes here with her dogs fairly frequently and they are OK. It's a water-based product (dilution of 1 to 5). I've used on paths edged by grass. Seems OK but perhaps not as safe as bi-carb. Not an instant cure either.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

30-04-2015, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Ah right Mups. I think Patio Magic is OK with pets. Our daughter comes here with her dogs fairly frequently and they are OK. It's a water-based product (dilution of 1 to 5). I've used on paths edged by grass. Seems OK but perhaps not as safe as bi-carb. Not an instant cure either.

I'll certainly bear it in mind Mart, thankyou.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire

30-04-2015, 10:46 PM

I've decided to paint the couple of walls a mid green akin to a lawn colour, that way at least the algae wont show up as much, worth a try methinks
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

30-04-2015, 11:07 PM

That's cheating!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top