Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2015, 10:07 AM

Electricity Meters

I just went to read my electricity and gas meters yesterday, because I don't like 'estimated' bills.
The gas meter was fine, as usual, but to my surprise and confusion, the electric meter had nothing at all on the little window. It was completely blank. It looks like it has conked out, yet I seem to have power working normally indoors.

Trying to report it over the weekend has been a flippin' joke, British Gas don't work on Sundays apparently. I then tried to e.mail but its one of those stupid things that gives you even more 'options' than the phone does, and not one of them was relevant to the problem.
Eventually I have sent it as a Complaint, which it isn't really, but nothing else was appropriate either!

Anyone any idea why a meter dies? I have no idea how long its not been working either, because it's not something I look at daily, I just read them quarterly normally.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2015, 10:14 AM

Re: Electricity Meters

Im guessing its a digital meter Mups, and as such can be subject to failure, it would not stop your electricity supply but wont be recording your usage, by the way it could also be a mechanical failure if its not digital. All machines can break down, so i feel that is all it is. However keep at the supplier to get out and replace it asap, its their kit and their responsibility.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2015, 10:19 AM

Thanks Nom. I'll try again today, but I don't expect to get any sense out of them on Bank Holiday, so might have to leave till Tuesday.
If they think this is a good excuse to fit a Smart Meter, they'd better think again!
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2015, 10:22 AM

I think it sounds like what Nom has said. Glad you're still getting a supply.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2015, 10:23 AM

Mups just watch what they try to charge you for the usage. Ours did that and they tried to say we had used a huge sum of electric, luckily we read ours weekly so had reported it fairly quickly but they did try it on before they realised we knew what we used.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2015, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I just went to read my electricity and gas meters yesterday, because I don't like 'estimated' bills.
The gas meter was fine, as usual, but to my surprise and confusion, the electric meter had nothing at all on the little window. It was completely blank. It looks like it has conked out, yet I seem to have power working normally indoors.

Trying to report it over the weekend has been a flippin' joke, British Gas don't work on Sundays apparently.
I then tried to e.mail but its one of those stupid things that gives you even more 'options' than the phone does, and not one of them was relevant to the problem.
Eventually I have sent it as a Complaint, which it isn't really, but nothing else was appropriate either!

Anyone any idea why a meter dies? I have no idea how long its not been working either, because it's not something I look at daily, I just read them quarterly normally.
Mups my electricity supplier (OVO) is not the same company as those who maintain my supply (Western Power).

It is worth checking, you should have a 24 hour emergency number on your bills also informing you of who is responsible for maintenance.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

04-05-2015, 03:11 PM

Thanks Meg, but I already rang Western Power, and they told me the meters are BG's property.
It'll be interesting to see how much they are going to estimate my bill at this quarter without a meter!
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2015, 04:18 PM

It isn't broken, it is in power saving mode. it is like a screen saver that goes blank to save power, there should be a red button to press, which will bring the screen back.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

05-05-2015, 05:28 PM

There is no red button Jimmy, I already looked for something like that.
It's never done it before in the 8 years I've lived here.
I phoned them today and they are supposed to be sending someone out, so we'll see what they say.

A few weeks ago I had a faulty socket that tripped the RCD switch off, and I'm wondering if that was anything might have been anything to do with it?
Thanks for trying to help though.

P.S. Just got a call from British Gas. They will come and fit a new meter on 1st June. Hope I don't have to pay for it?
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2015, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
There is no red button Jimmy, I already looked for something like that.
It's never done it before in the 8 years I've lived here.
I phoned them today and they are supposed to be sending someone out, so we'll see what they say.

A few weeks ago I had a faulty socket that tripped the RCD switch off, and I'm wondering if that was anything might have been anything to do with it?
Thanks for trying to help though.

P.S. Just got a call from British Gas. They will come and fit a new meter on 1st June. Hope I don't have to pay for it?
At least your minds at rest, i wouldn't think you would have to pay for it, as it belongs to them, so don't worry it'll be ok

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top