Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2015, 10:23 AM

Shame and Scandal !

Been rummaging among the ancestors this morning and discovered that my paternal 4 x Great Grandmother was fined £5 and imprisoned in Dorchester gaol for a month in 1820 ... for assault ! EeeeK !

Edit: Title should read 'Shame and Scandal' - the shock has wrecked my spelling - need tea - now!
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2015, 10:57 AM

Re: Shame and Scandal !

that's why I've never researched my ancestry ... too worried about what I'll discover
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2015, 11:21 AM

I can go for months and never find a thing then, suddenly, another piece falls into place and sets me off again. Have just found my 3 x Great Grandparents and that lead me to my naughty 4 x Great Grandma. What a pity I will never know what actually happened !!
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2015, 11:35 AM

You'll need to visit this attraction when it is up and running

I expect the majority of us have some sort of skeleton in the cupboard. Life was hard for th majority of the population for most of history; we are the fortunate ones
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

02-08-2015, 11:45 AM

Thanks, Dinahsmum, that looks really interesting.

Most of the people sentenced on the same day as GGGGrandma were convicted of poaching or smuggling. There were three assaults and one for stealing honey !
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2015, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Thanks, Dinahsmum, that looks really interesting.

Most of the people sentenced on the same day as GGGGrandma were convicted of poaching or smuggling. There were three assaults and one for stealing honey !
She had little choice and I bet she suffered - bless her x
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2015, 05:37 PM

Been rummaging among the ancestors this morning and discovered that my paternal 4 x Great Grandmother was fined £5 and imprisoned in Dorchester gaol for a month in 1820 ... for assault ! EeeeK !

Edit: Title should read 'Shame and Scandal' - the shock has wrecked my spelling - need tea - now!
Ma Barker has nothing on your ancestors Silver.
I had an ancestor transported to Australia back in the early 1800’s, it seems he stole a horse, the horse was military property and was nicked from outside a Tavern, they got the horse back but that didn’t stop them shipping yerman out, I suppose he was lucky, nicking horses was a hanging offence then I believe.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2015, 07:04 PM

Lol ... but I so envy you.
Mine are all pretty mundane, although there's the 17 year old son of a cousin of gt gt gt grandpa, who was sentenced to 7 years in Tasmania for writing a threatening letter during the Swing Riots of 1830. Poor boy was just trying to help some rellies escape punishment for ? unsure what
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

02-08-2015, 07:53 PM

This genealogy game is quite addictive !

My thanks to the kind Mod who fixed the title for me!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

02-08-2015, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
Lol ... but I so envy you.
Mine are all pretty mundane, although there's the 17 year old son of a cousin of gt gt gt grandpa, who was sentenced to 7 years in Tasmania for writing a threatening letter during the Swing Riots of 1830. Poor boy was just trying to help some rellies escape punishment for ? unsure what
That seems a very harsh punishment !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top