Join for free
Page 7 of 98 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 02:14 PM

Re: Premium Bonds

I got a measly £25 this month
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 04:55 PM

As with most "lotto" style ventures, Premium Bonds are really just a mechanism which takes large amounts of money from mug punters, which the operators can then make money from (gambling it themselves on stock markets or investing in safe schemes etc) and who then will pay-out nothing or very little, to the vast majority of mug punters.

The probabilities and maths involved in assessing Premium Bonds are very complex and made that way deliberately so the average punter can't properly assess the proposition.

The simpler people are left to reason thus:

"I can't lose any money because I can always take my money back out, and I might just scoop a hefty jackpot, so how can I lose?"

What they fail to assess is the true reality of how much return they will get from Premium Bonds vs the return they would get from say ISAs or interest accounts and so on.

When such analysis is done it soon becomes clear that Premium Bonds are a mugs game. That said the returns from interest savings accounts and the like have been getting less and less but even so, Premium Bonds will give most people a smaller return than other investing options.

Here's a good article which explains the true odds and the real facts about Premium Bonds.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sav...-bonds#arethey

I have a key principle in life where lending money is concerned as follows:

If a bank or other institution would charge you X% to lend you some money, then you yourself would be a fool to lend YOUR money out to someone else and not charge them that same X%

If you have Premium Bonds then you are effectively lending your money out to someone else for zero percent charge, or for a very very small charge.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 05:31 PM

As I get a heck of a lot more in prize money on my premium bond investment, than interest on the savings accounts, I would beg to differ.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 06:34 PM

And I no longer want to tie up my money in 6 year savings bonds.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
As with most "lotto" style ventures, Premium Bonds are really just a mechanism which takes large amounts of money from mug punters, which the operators can then make money from (gambling it themselves on stock markets or investing in safe schemes etc) and who then will pay-out nothing or very little, to the vast majority of mug punters.

The probabilities and maths involved in assessing Premium Bonds are very complex and made that way deliberately so the average punter can't properly assess the proposition.

"I can't lose any money because I can always take my money back out, and I might just scoop a hefty jackpot, so how can I lose?"

What they fail to assess is the true reality of how much return they will get from Premium Bonds vs the return they would get from say ISAs or interest accounts and so on.

When such analysis is done it soon becomes clear that Premium Bonds are a mugs game. That said the returns from interest savings accounts and the like have been getting less and less but even so, Premium Bonds will give most people a smaller return than other investing options.

Here's a good article which explains the true odds and the real facts about Premium Bonds.

If a bank or other institution would charge you X% to lend you some money, then you yourself would be a fool to lend YOUR money out to someone else and not charge them that same X%

If you have Premium Bonds then you are effectively lending your money out to someone else for zero percent charge, or for a very very small charge.
That may be true but as ISA rates are so low as not to bother might as well go for Premium Bonds as part of a balanced portfolio. Stocks and shares are also at rock bottom .
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Stocks and shares are also at rock bottom .
Would that not be the best point to buy then?!
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

Nice long post

BUT stupid.

Your quote

If you have Premium Bonds then you are effectively lending your money out to someone else for zero percent charge, or for a very very small charge.[/QUOTE]

That statement covers all investments that you make and hope and expect a return on.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

04-03-2016, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
As I get a heck of a lot more in prize money on my premium bond investment, than interest on the savings accounts, I would beg to differ.
Well you've already stated that you have the full £50,000 invested. On that basis it is a "virtual certainty" that you will win £250 per year. There is an 80% chance that you will win £500 a year which of course would be a mere 1% return on your huge investment.

To win £1000 per year you would have to one of the lucky 5% of people in that bracket and even if you were, that's still only a 2% return.

There are savings accounts offering better returns than the average 1% that premium bonds provide. Santander for example offer 3% on up to a £20,000 investment.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

04-03-2016, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
That statement covers all investments that you make and hope and expect a return on.
It covers speculative investments where a return is not guaranteed. It does not cover investments like savings accounts which provide fixed returns.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 09:29 PM

I have got a better return with p bonds than saving schemes

Page 7 of 98 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top