Join for free
Page 213 of 255 « First < 113 163 203 211 212 213 214 215 223 > Last »
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2018, 04:32 PM

Re: OFF slimming club---open to everyone.

I would be too! I do hope you're going to eat a little more today?
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2018, 08:04 PM

Yes I had the Weight Watchers Chow Mein and some fruit, but was shocked after I had eaten it and looked at the packaging.

Low in Fat
Low in Salt
But 18.7g of sugar!! I was shocked especially when i'm a bad Diabetic, the most sugar I should consume is 1.0g.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2018, 08:20 PM

Yeah, you have to be careful of the sugars hidden in processed foods. You're better off making your own Chow Mein at home.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2018, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Yes I had the Weight Watchers Chow Mein and some fruit, but was shocked after I had eaten it and looked at the packaging.

Low in Fat
Low in Salt
But 18.7g of sugar!! I was shocked especially when i'm a bad Diabetic, the most sugar I should consume is 1.0g.
When processed foods are advertised low fat, thats when you have to check the salt and sugar content

Remove the fat, you remove the flavour, so salt and sugar are upped

I remember years ago at a slimming class, the dessert of choice was a meringue nest topped with fruit and creme freche. Full of sugar, but allowed and promoted as healthy as it was fat free

I now eat full fat everything, milk, butter, cheese, you name it - I eat it. What I do find is I don't eat so much because what I do eat fills me up
Linda0818
USA

17-03-2018, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
When processed foods are advertised low fat, thats when you have to check the salt and sugar content

Remove the fat, you remove the flavour, so salt and sugar are upped

I remember years ago at a slimming class, the dessert of choice was a meringue nest topped with fruit and creme freche. Full of sugar, but allowed and promoted as healthy as it was fat free

I now eat full fat everything, milk, butter, cheese, you name it - I eat it. What I do find is I don't eat so much because what I do eat fills me up
Exactly. They use sugar to make up for the lack of fat and sodium, which gives food flavor.

Fat also keeps you feeling fuller longer. That and protein. And I've done the same as you, I've stopped buying "fat-free" everything because there are too many extras in those foods to make up for the lack of fat. I'll still have the occasional 'diet meal', buying them to keep in the freezer for days I'm running out the door and need to grab something quick to take for lunch. But it's an occasional thing, whereas several years ago I practically lived on them, just to control my calorie intake.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2018, 09:14 AM

Yes I know, you are both right, I won't be doing that again, it was done at short notice because I was out and couldn't be bothered to come back home and start cooking again.

Today we are going out to the Indian Restaurant and I shall be having:

Chicken Tikka.
Some Rice.
Dry Veg. Curry.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2018, 11:33 AM

Yes I know, you are both right, I won't be doing that again, it was done at short notice because I was out and couldn't be bothered to come back home and start cooking again.

Today we are going out to the Indian Restaurant and I shall be having:

Chicken Tikka.
Some Rice.
Dry Veg. Curry.
Excellent choice

I love Indian and pretty fond of Chinese and both feature in my meal plans big time. We don’t have an Indian near us now so that’s always home made but when we did go a lot and I was watching what I ate, I went for The tandoori chicken , plain boiled rice and salad

If we went to a Chinese it was usually a noodle dish

If it was a chippy tea, I removed the batter from the fish. No hardship mostly as I don’t like chip shop batter , always too thick and often doughy

Taking the kids to McDs, a happy meal was enough ( still is as it happens )

As I say I now make my own Indian meals and Chinese @ home. No where near as fattening as restaurant meals because most only use a tablespoon of oil and instead of deep frying in batter I use a method called velveting which is basically simmering chicken coated it egg white and corn flour in water

All the taste, none of the fat

This week I made trice cooked belly of pork. A really fat filled meat. What you do though is boil it first till soft with ginger and spring onions to add flavour. Boiling removes a lot of the fat. Then cut into cubes and slowly dry fry till crisp, removes more fat yet adds more flavour, then lightly stir fry veg, chuck in the pork, add sauce of choice and lightly braise until veg is soft enough. Cheap as chips, tasty as anything yet pretty low fat considering it’s pork belly. Also the focus is the veg, very little meat
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK

18-03-2018, 04:44 PM

Yes Missy, I always have the Chicken Tikka, the Chef in the Restaurant knows what I will be ordering before I even get there, I have the same every time.
I don't eat Curries in the Restaurant because I find them heavy on my stomach plus they tend to raise my sugar levels, but if I cook a Curry at home, then it is much lighter and I know what I have put in it.
Mel15
Nowhere

18-03-2018, 08:30 PM

Yes Missy, I always have the Chicken Tikka, the Chef in the Restaurant knows what I will be ordering before I even get there, I have the same every time.
I don't eat Curries in the Restaurant because I find them heavy on my stomach plus they tend to raise my sugar levels, but if I cook a Curry at home, then it is much lighter and I know what I have put in it.
I really hope you enjoyed your meal today, I've been thinking of it with just a tad of jealousy. Whilst I do make a pretty good curry, I miss going out for one big time

One of my favourite Indians is actually a Nepalese resturaunt in Worcester park. Whenever I come over to England I will book in there for at least one gut busting meal. It's superb

I think my idea of heaven is prawn patia, garlic naan, Dahl , sag aloo and if they have it an aubergine curry.

Yum yum yum
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK

19-03-2018, 08:57 AM

Hi Missy,

My Husband has Lamb Pathia and yes they do have Aubergine Curry in our Restaurant.

Today its:

Roast Gammon, Broccoli Cheese, Swede and Sweetcorn.

Page 213 of 255 « First < 113 163 203 211 212 213 214 215 223 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top