Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2017, 08:22 AM

Do you exercise specifically for a holiday?

I exercise regularly as most of you know and I'm going on holiday tomorrow. Normally I'd be going almost flat out at the gym in order to 'look my best' for when I'm away. Last year I more or less achieved that, lots of training over a 6-month build-up period and in my eyes I thought I'd achieved a reasonably good standard of fitness and form. I even had some visible abs, but after all that hard work and endless crunches, they disappeared on Day One

This year I've just been so busy with decorating, DIY and snowed under at work and most of my training plans have gone t!ts up. It's been very last minute and I'm just looking "alright". But to hell with it, who's bothered? Nobody else knows you.

I believe it all boils down to self-respect and keeping up our own particular standards. Are you massively anxious about looking in good shape for your holiday, or couldn't you give a damn about it?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2017, 08:34 AM

Re: Do you exercise specifically for a holiday?

For me, vanity went out the equation a long time ago, I now exercise because I don't fancy staring at a Hospital Ceiling, knowing what I haven't done was in part responsible.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2017, 08:36 AM

I don't excersise much Floydy before a holiday but I do diet. I feel I have to as I don't want to frighten the local population when I don my swimming cosi.

Like you though in a few days all my good work is scuppered, thank goodness for surongs
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2017, 08:39 AM

Building up is for youngsters, post 50, lithe is the way forward,Imo.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2017, 08:42 AM

Hi

Exercising specifically for a holiday or dieting for it, is to me, intrinsically wrong.

Why are you doing it?

The object of the exercise is surely to look at your best at all times, for your partner.

They are the most important thing in your life.

English women remove their make up before going to bed, French women put it on before going to bed.

English men have a shower and a shave and put on aftershave in the morning, others do it at night before they go to bed with their partners.

If I were a woman I would most definitely prefer a cleanly shaved, nicely smelling man in my bed with me.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2017, 08:47 AM

I'm a natural Adonis anyway with a superb physique, but I really do feel for you lesser mortals that have to work at it...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2017, 10:51 AM

I run every other day regardless of whether I'm going on holiday or not Floydy.
Running kit is usually the first thing that goes in my case, and running continues while on holiday. It's a great way to see new places and pick out things to take Mrs Fox to see later.

Missing just one or two runs makes it very difficult to maintain my fitness, especially at my age, so I will continue while ever I can climb out of bed. However, I couldn't really care about how I look within reason, I had so many 'hang up's' when I was younger, now I just think 'Sod it' I am what you see...

I suppose it's different with your type of exercise where body shape is important but I suspect it's only in your head Floydy. To the people that didn't know you before, like those you meet on holiday, they wouldn't know whether you look better or worse. But I suppose it's like feeling proud when you go out wearing an expensive shirt or suit and you walk with your head just a little bit higher.....
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2017, 10:54 AM

I do.

Lifting pints of San Miguel 6 weeks before departure....you think you've got big arms?
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2017, 11:10 AM

No I don't exercise more before I go on holiday,just try to keep as fit and healthy as I can all year round....But My late husband was very keen on muscle building/weight lifting exercises so much so that He turned our loft into a gym' with all the equipment,which looking back,cost a pretty penny,He always looked fit and strong....but it didn't prevent Him from dying of pancreatic cancer when He was just 42 yrs old..so all those weeks/months/years spent in the local gym and His home gym' was all just a big waste of time...so My advice is to spend Your spare time with Family and the Folks You love doing things You all enjoy together.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2017, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by May ->
No I don't exercise more before I go on holiday,just try to keep as fit and healthy as I can all year round....But My late husband was very keen on muscle building/weight lifting exercises so much so that He turned our loft into a gym' with all the equipment,which looking back,cost a pretty penny,He always looked fit and strong....but it didn't prevent Him from dying of pancreatic cancer when He was just 42 yrs old..so all those weeks/months/years spent in the local gym and His home gym' was all just a big waste of time...so My advice is to spend Your spare time with Family and the Folks You love doing things You all enjoy together.
Just a young man....just goes to show, as you said, live life.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top