Join for free
Page 3 of 42 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 01:41 AM

Re: Nigel Farage

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->
I actually watched Nigel go into the ant-Brexit hate pit. He did well to keep his cool with Ali-Batshit-Brown. When the Ugandan said he didn't want people like her coming in, he should have said he doesn't like people coming here for sanctuary and then paying us back by making a career out of slagging off the country and its people.

I have always admired Farage and am grateful to him for bringing about the referendum.

In his shoes I don't think I would have remained leader of UKIP with all the falling out and backbiting, and neither would I stand again for Parliament having been rejected in favour of the pitifully weak politicians we now have.

Thankfully, that hasn't stopped him speaking publicly on the subject of Brexit, because he talks a lot of sense. Whether people will listen to him, though, is up to them.

At the end of the day, whether or not we leave the EU in a beneficial way depends upon the politicians in Parliament now. Should May back down and give in to the EU, I can only hope that when she is replaced it is by a stronger PM, and that when the next GE comes along we vote wisely.

It is we who vote these people into government, and we get what we deserve.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 10:23 AM

Farage was on the Today programme this morning , he said the reason for his new referendum statement was having spoken to Barnier earlier this week he is convinced we will not get a good deal to leave the EU (no surprise there ) and whatever deal we get will be voted down by parliament anyway where there is a majority for remain.

So the only way for the will of the majority who voted to leave to be carried out is to have another referendum.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Farage was on the Today programme this morning , he said the reason for his new referendum statement was having spoken to Barnier earlier this week he is convinced we will not get a good deal to leave the EU (no surprise there ) and whatever deal we get will be voted down by parliament anyway where there is a majority for remain.

So the only way for the will of the majority who voted to leave to be carried out is to have another referendum.
I can see his logic but it's a risky strategy. It could well be the only sensible way forward big sigh here though at the possibility of it happening
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

I heard that interview too Meg and, although I understand why he thinks it is the best idea I am sad for a number of reason.

Before the vote lots of people were saying that there was no way our government would allow us to leave, if the vote went that way. I thought they didn't have any choice, as it was a democratic vote, but I am beginning to think I was wrong
There are many people now attempting to change the result and I wonder if the new government rules will allow that to happen, discreetly through the back door! Possibly by changing rules so we can easily rejoin, for some ficticious reason!

Those who voted leave have been harassed and blamed for damaging their children's futures..... but nobody can see into the future! In elections I hope parents have always voted for what they think is best for their children.... so why haven't we all voted for the same party in our children's interest?

I hope Farage is right and a second referendum would confirm the decision to leave... but I don't think it will because the constant hassle from the losing remainers will have weakened the resolve of some who voted to leave.....or even worse, they may have found a method to rig the vote.

My respect for this country is reducing because, no matter which party are in power, the MP's are all looking to feather their own nests rather than do what is right for the country...and they do that by making false promises to the voters!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 11:17 AM

Nigel always does well in these debates because he never bites or slags back. The questions they ask time after time and the you think starts to those questions would drive a lot of people to bristle.

He did well and o was left wondering if he is going to be a new panellist because matthew appeared to be impressed. Much against his own prejudices I may add.

I'm very against another referendum but unlike remainers I accept other people are allowed an opinion on it so if Nigel says we need one that's his opinion and I'm fine with it. I'm certainly not going to carry on like its end of the world as we know it.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 11:23 AM

You are right about career politician's and false promises Twinks but I don't see how they could rig the vote though unless I'm missing something.

I still think the vote in a new referendum would be marginal so we could very well be in the same position. Also if the vote was to remain the EU would really take is to the cleaners and we would well and truly be in a federal state.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 11:32 AM

If it was remain after what the remainers have said and done I predict violence on the streets because gracious losers they have not been.
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 11:34 AM

if remainers won,it would have to be best out of three
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire

12-01-2018, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
If it was remain after what the remainers have said and done I predict violence on the streets because gracious losers they have not been.
Civil war? Goes put and buys bottles of water and tins of spam just in case seriously though you could be right.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire

12-01-2018, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by doctor ->
if remainers won,it would have to be best out of three

Page 3 of 42 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top