Join for free
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2018, 06:00 PM

Default settings on Windows 10

How do change my default settings on Windows 10 please? I've googled and found this:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...fault-programs
I've scrolled down to Choose Default Applications by File Type which gives lists of file types on the left and applications on the right so I click on Libre Office Calc and another box appears saying "Choose an Application"..........
If I then scroll the list of file types and click on .xlsx - nothing happens!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2018, 06:10 PM

Re: Default settings on Windows 10

just because you have chosen an app from a list that app may have to be downloaded. I don't know but that would be my first guess. That list I suspect is just showing examples of what one can download.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2018, 06:25 PM

I have downloaded and installed libre calc and transferred spreadsheets onto the new computer. All I'm trying to do is to click on "open" and get them to open in Libre calc. At the moment I have to click on "open with".............and I keep forgetting!!!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2018, 06:39 PM

I think you're performing the selection the wrong way round; follow this example:

Choose Default Apps by File Type

https://www.howtogeek.com/223144/how...in-windows-10/

Overall, how you choose to organize your app commands is a matter of personal preference, but certain options such as “Default Apps by File Type” can usually tend to be a bit easier to manage for the average everyday user.

To choose which apps launch which types of media or link by the type of file, select the “Choose Default Apps by File Type” option. Here you’ll be greeted by a two-tiered menu, the first containing every file type that Windows 10 is designed to handle, and the second with the list of apps you currently have installed on the machine.

Say for example you want to launch .mkv files in Windows Media Player rather than the in-house Movies app. To change this, just scroll down to “.mkv” on the left, and once selected, choose the corresponding application on the right that you’d like to set as the default.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

05-02-2018, 06:48 PM

Thanks Omah - I would agree but when I scroll down to .xlsx nothing happens. I can click on Libre Calc on the other list and it's obviously selected, but clicking on any of the file types doesn't select them.

I don't have very many files on the new computer yet, but there is a .docx file type - so I've tried to select that too.........nothing!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2018, 07:16 PM

I've just switched .jpg from Xnview to MS Office Picture Manager

On the presented list of file types, I found .jpg (but didn't click on it), clicked on the Xnview icon, and clicked on MSOPM - the icon immediately changed, so I located .jpg file, clicked on that and MSOPM opened it.

I closed the .jpg file, reversed the process and Xnview is now the default program.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

05-02-2018, 07:57 PM

Excellent - thanks very much Omah. I've now figured it .............. I thought the two lists were just two lists presented on the same page for convenience...........hadn't realised that the file type was associated with the corresponding app in the other list!!!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

05-02-2018, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Excellent - thanks very much Omah. I've now figured it .............. I thought the two lists were just two lists presented on the same page for convenience...........hadn't realised that the file type was associated with the corresponding app in the other list!!!
Excellent .....

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top