Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2018, 09:57 AM

Re: Post Shingles complications

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Whats up Doc?
I'm not clear whether you are still suffering from back & "nerve" problems. Could you elaborate, please.
thanks for responding
yes still got dead nerves,its no problem,,just an area of skin that's daed to touch,
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2018, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Lila ->
Still suffering from PHN from ophthalmic shingles which started last April. I am wondering if my shingly eye will ever recover.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/post-herpetic-neuralgia/
My neighbour had Shingles in November and still has PHN, she has been told it could last a year...
She had it all down one side including on the inside of her thigh going up to her vagina , it made peeing excruciatingly painful .
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2018, 10:28 AM

I had shingles about 25 years ago before antiviral drugs were routinely used for anyone at the start of an attack. It was dreadful I felt so ill and couldn't stand clothes touching my body.

Ever since I have had a problem with an area of my back on one side just below my shoulder blade. It is ultra sensitive to touch, tingly, burning and itchy.
I started taking a medication for a heart condition last year and the 'damaged area' of my back is now frequently covered in nettle rash and is so itchy it drives me mad.
I have been prescribed antihistamine tablets but am reluctant to take any more medication than I have to. I find an ice pack helps.

I don't think enough publicity is given to possible long term effects of shingles.
I would urge anyone who is eligible to have the shingles vaccination to have it. You need to be 70 years old at the moment. It is possible to have shingles more than once.
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2018, 12:16 PM

Yes, I was a few months too young for the vaccination. Will certainly ask for the vaccination as soon as I qualify, I won't want another dose. But do they recommend the vaccination if you still have PHN?
Beautiful Filly
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2018, 04:24 PM

I had my first outbreak of shingles in 1982...and I thought I'd die. It began on my waist and then travelled up my back on the right side. The only thing I had for it was Calamine Lotion and Percocet...it an awful pain to live through. Any-who, it took about 8 weeks to clear up...and once it was gone, I had no post problems.

Then lo and behold...a bout of shingles hit me in 2012, this time in my scalp. I think it was worse than the first time. Only cold packs from the freezer helped me...and once again my doctor gave me Percocet...and it lasted for about another 8 weeks. Thank goodness...I had had no post problems...

Yesterday, I saw my doctor because I thought I had shingles for a third time...I do have them again but this time the doctor gave me a script for Valacyclovir, which is the drug that you take at the beginning, within 72 hours of being diagnosed... I also have Percocet and Calamine Lotion. Funny/odd thing is...the shingles are in the very same place as in 1982... The ice packs on my upper back help a little... I cannot stand my clothes touching my back, at all...

Oh, and by the by...I had the vaccine about 2 years ago...apparently it's not 100%...but there's a new one out now...
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2018, 04:50 PM

I'm sorry you have it again, in spite of having the vaccine.

I had Aciclovir for mine but probably started too late, perhaps that's why I've still got PHN. Scalp and eye, I am still wondering if my shingly eye is ever going to recover. The ophthalmologist said there'd be no permanent damage to my sight but I'm not convinced.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2018, 04:59 PM

I was told shingles is attached to a nerve end so always starts from there.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2018, 05:39 PM

I had shingles once on my tummy. It was very painful.
I got the vaccine. It cost $240.00 but I feel it was worth it.
Beautiful Filly
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2018, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Lila ->
I'm sorry you have it again, in spite of having the vaccine.

I had Aciclovir for mine but probably started too late, perhaps that's why I've still got PHN. Scalp and eye, I am still wondering if my shingly eye is ever going to recover. The ophthalmologist said there'd be no permanent damage to my sight but I'm not convinced.
Thank you Lila...I am still finding it hard to believe this has happened again.

Lila...I hope you're ophthalmologist is right, maybe it's just going to take a little longer to correct because of the area.
Beautiful Filly

17-03-2018, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by warleyron ->
I was told shingles is attached to a nerve end so always starts from there.
Hi warleyron...I know that all of the pain is caused by the nerve endings. My doctor told me that this disease stays dormant in your body...and under the right circumstances, it rears it's ugly head.

I don't think anyone on this thread has mentioned...that you can only get shingles if you've had the chicken pox...

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top