Join for free
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2018, 07:47 PM

Astronomy

Hi

Astronomy, as opposed to Astrology.

I am a Scientist, but always done the little things, Chemicals, Bacteria.

I was introduced to Astronomy by Surfermom.

It is fascinating, the Maths in particular, but also very scary.

It makes you realise just how insignificant we are in the overall scale of things.

Mankind as a whole,nevermind us as individuals, are just a flash in the pan, absolutely insignificant.

It makes me wonder what is out there.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 11:34 AM

Re: Astronomy

My grandson(13) is very interested in astronomy.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 10:31 PM

Well, that's just strange...twice I tried to post and twice it disappeared. Sorry for the late reply, swimfeeders.

Yes, it's an incredible field - one of the few that literally allows us to look back with near perfect images of what was going on 13.4 billion years ago out of a universe that was 13.7 years old. Here is the oldest, farthest galaxy from us courtesy of NASA:

[url=https://imgbb.com/]

Then on another front, it is now estimated that there could be 11 billion planets orbiting stars similar in size to our sun, in the habitable zone, in the Milky Way alone.

What are the chances that just one of those could have at least a primitive form of microscopic life? Well you would need to look for the right kind of atmospheres for starters. (This is an area on which I am currently working).

Now take those 11 billion planets and multiply that by a conservative estmate of 10 billion estimated galaxies in the universe, and we are looking at 110,000,000,000 possible places to find life. The chances look reasonably good!

Astronomy and the mathematics that goes with it are awesome in the truest sense of the word.

Every single one of us has won the cosmic lottery - we are rich beyond measure to be alive, sentient, rational beings in this vast time and place.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
My grandson(13) is very interested in astronomy.
That's great! Does he have a telescope?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2018, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
That's great! Does he have a telescope?
I am not sure.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2018, 09:58 AM

all we get is grey overcast skies here in the UK most of the time
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2018, 10:13 AM

I have a Celestron NexStar telescope, that my ex partner and myself used to look at the night sky with!
We mainly saw satellites but l think it was Mars we saw as well!

Where l live, wasn’t so good as there is a lot of light pollution due to the the street lights.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top