Join for free
Page 40 of 95 « First < 30 38 39 40 41 42 50 90 > Last »
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2017, 10:41 PM

Re: What book are you reading now?

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier.

The film is on at the moment so I'm reading the book... it's good!
I'm told they've altered the end, why do they do this????
Now I don't want to see it...the ending in the book is brilliant, why on earth change it???
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2017, 04:24 PM

Re-reading my previous book. Definitely helped put things in perspective, and I'm sure I could use some of it in future discussions.

History of Religion: Complete Guide to World Religions and Religion in America, including the History of Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Atheism, Mythology, Buddhism, Hinduism, and more by Howard Colvin.

Goes way back to neolithic man, even mentions neanderthal man has having showed signs of worship. Not a long book and can be read in a day.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2017, 04:40 PM

I've just been gifted "Notes from a Small Island" by Bill Bryson. I seem to remember reading some of his writings which had been serialised in a national newspaper, so I'm looking forward to starting it after I've finished the Ian Rankin novel which I'm struggling with at the moment.
tomtwodogs
Lynmouth U.K.
tomtwodogs is male  tomtwodogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2017, 05:56 PM

Six feet to Lands End,. by Ken Ward ,.its about the third time I have read it.
This is the best book i have read in years, wonderfully descriptive of the English countryside, with its out of the way places, and footpaths. Its also a story of comradeship, compassion, romance, and adventure, with two old ex army guys, and one younger stone mason. who walk from the Cotswolds to Lands End, on some of the Englands finest footpaths,.Its also a story of endurance, and bygone values, and above all, it shows that just because you are old, you need not be written off,.. well done to Ken Ward, i eagerly await a follow up to this book.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2017, 09:05 PM

I have just started "Crisis" written by Frank Gardner. Set in the Columbian jungle, with the killing of an MI6 operative. Still getting into the tale, but readable, I will see how it goes.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2017, 09:10 PM

The Kabul Beauty School by Deborah Rodriguez.

A factual look at the lives of women in Afghanistan and the ones who wanted to train as hairdressers and beauticians. A none fiction book with a real insight into the lives of many women, including the author herself who married an Afghan man who already had a wife and numerous children in Saudi Arabia. Definitely a "don't put down" book.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by tomtwodogs ->
This is the best book i have read in years, wonderfully descriptive of the English countryside, with its out of the way places, and footpaths. Its also a story of comradeship, compassion, romance, and adventure, with two old ex army guys, and one younger stone mason. who walk from the Cotswolds to Lands End, on some of the Englands finest footpaths,.Its also a story of endurance, and bygone values, and above all, it shows that just because you are old, you need not be written off,.. well done to Ken Ward, i eagerly await a follow up to this book.
It's an excellent read. I have read about every book on long foot journeys that I can find.

One book I am soon to complete is The Elegant Universe, by John Greene, to brush up on a bit of work I'll be doing this fall.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->

A factual look at the lives of women in Afghanistan and the ones who wanted to train as hairdressers and beauticians. A none fiction book with a real insight into the lives of many women, including the author herself who married an Afghan man who already had a wife and numerous children in Saudi Arabia. Definitely a "don't put down" book.
Sounds good.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by tomtwodogs ->
This sounds good too.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2017, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
I read the Little Coffee shop in Kabul and return to the Little Coffee shop in Kabul and found her to be a brilliant writer.

Page 40 of 95 « First < 30 38 39 40 41 42 50 90 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top