Join for free
Page 554 of 1676 « First < 54 454 504 544 552 553 554 555 556 564 604 654 1054 1554 > Last »
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 04:47 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

There was a young ‘dick’ in old Dublin town
We called him young ‘jem’ cos he polished em down
Polished em down till they screamed out for rest
They confessed to the crimes to get him off their chest

He prowled ‘round the lippy from evenin till dawn
His poor missus sat poking the embers forlorn
He wouldn’t come back till the case was all solved
Or the priest came along and said you both are absolved!

He cleaned up the gutters of old Dublin town
The young prossies would curtsey give ‘IM half a crown
Just to keep im a movin – let the trade quietly in
Well in dublin in those days makin love was a sin!

Well old Jem finally finished
They gave ‘im a watch
Thanked ‘im for ‘is service
Said he’d be missed awful lot
But somehow they’d manage
New techniques ‘ad come in
Enjoy ya retirement – it’s no longer a sin!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 02:22 PM

Well that was nice of you to pen that lovely piece Gummy, I’m touched, “Phillis keep your hands to yourself, I’m trying to type”
I shall print that out in old Gothic font and hang it up beside my assay registration certificate in my beloved shed, and there was me thinking you didn’t even care.
Titter away ye of little faith, one of these days the page will be adorned with a spectacular music video fit for royality, as they say to the operatives in NASA’s universe monitoring tower, watch this space.

For a start I know they weren’t both alive at the same period, it’s only a story after all. It’s very possible I’ve told it before but whenever Shakespeare is mentioned I always think of this tale, where I was at the time and who told it to me.

Shelley and Shakespeare were sitting up at the bar having a quiet talk and a drink. Two old locals were sitting down at a table by the window and one says to the other “ Hey Mick, do ya see them pair up at the bar, well they are the greatest poets ever, you say anything to them and at the drop of a hat they will make up a poem about it” “Is that a fact now” “Yes, just go over and ask one of them, any subject you like, and sure as hell they’ll have a poem about it”
So Mick picks up the courage goes over to the bar and speaks to the soft spoken Shelley first. I hear you’re a poet Mr. Shelley, what would you say if I said “A bandy man walked down the road?” Shelley thought for a bit then softly said “O’r the hill and down the road, came a man who’s legs were bowed” That’s brilliant said Mick.
He then turned to Shakespeare, “And you Mr. shakespeare?” Shakespeare stood down from his stool took a deep breath and in a commanding voice boomed out “What manner of man is this? who carries his balls in parenthesis!”
Sorry for the crudeness, but the medical term testicles would not have suited, even if it was around back then.
That story was told to me by the Abbey actor Cyril Cusack many moons ago when I was a young man in my twenties, it was in “The Plough Bar”, both are now no longer with us, rest his soul.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2018, 01:21 AM

keep on trying Mr Jem you are only one slash away and as the bard might say - "what manner of man is this who shakes about his slasher and doth not strike the spot" old william was a man who loved his tools!

and now you've got me goin on the bard how about?

"Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.” - that should bring us all down to earth -

I do hope spittie will finish off his outhouse with that jackhammer of his -

scouts has he been seen anywhere else on site??

I have thought about this from time to time - if anyone of us should die suddenly who is going to come and tell leisurely scribbles unless its in the will??

solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2018, 10:25 AM

Rather than think those aging mortal thoughts it is so much easier these days to hope that those who have stopped posting have merely slipped away to perhaps carry out those long dreamed dreams and wishes so I am not going to do those old Shakespeare chestnuts of 'Spitty, Spitty where for art thou Spitty' or 'Absence makes the heart grow fonder'

More the Omar Khayyam thought of what we have written on the Internet stays on the Internet so scribblers (and others) are never forgotten

"The Moving Finger types and, having typed
Moves on nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it"

Inspired to plagiarise by Omar
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2018, 11:52 AM

Greetings fellow frustrated followers of fashion, are you sitting comfortably for I sense a plethora of pretentious premeditated prattle presently.
That reminds me of the first pop concert I saw. The KINKS at the Winter Gardens in Bournemouth, about 1966. A whopping 52 years ago. It was organised by our Youth Club leader, an ex-copper who had picked up some bad habits during his career. I fell foul of him when half a crown went missing from the tuck box. I had nothing to do with it, it was the daft old lady at the tuck counter who was clueless & was prone to wandering off. The Copper in charge considered tying her with a leash to the desk. Nevertheless, for all his faults Roy & his brother Norris gave up 3 evenings a week eventually for 20 years & their service in guiding youngsters away from street corners and gangs & nothing can take that away.
My mind has gone blank now, I’ll write more this afternoon.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

23-03-2018, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Greetings fellow frustrated followers of fashion, are you sitting comfortably for I sense a plethora of pretentious premeditated prattle presently.
That reminds me of the first pop concert I saw. The KINKS at the Winter Gardens in Bournemouth, about 1966. A whopping 52 years ago. It was organised by our Youth Club leader, an ex-copper who had picked up some bad habits during his career. I fell foul of him when half a crown went missing from the tuck box. I had nothing to do with it, it was the daft old lady at the tuck counter who was clueless & was prone to wandering off. The Copper in charge considered tying her with a leash to the desk. Nevertheless, for all his faults Roy & his brother Norris gave up 3 evenings a week eventually for 20 years & their service in guiding youngsters away from street corners and gangs & nothing can take that away.
My mind has gone blank now, I’ll write more this afternoon.

a shakespeare quote might have helped - he's bouying us up at the moment apart from Cream?

did you notice that sly slash forward I inserted Jem in c minor?
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2018, 12:40 PM

Ahhh The Kinks. You really got me. Brilliant song. So much great music then

Cops knew those teens that hung out on street corners were solving world problems along with their own when we were not supposed to be of an age where we could solve anything.

Hair styles, fashion, music were all sorted out on street corners along with hoped for boyfriends who were targeted shamelessly, mercilessly and blushingly well away from your mothers disapproving gaze.

The only problem was as you got older and wore fashionable wobbly winkle picker stilettos, scarpering from the cops who always seemed to know your parents became rather hazardous and decidedly undignified but good for a laugh for the local teddy boys who of course wore those sensible huge crepe soled shoes that you could use as pontoons if the need should arise.

Street corners were much healthier and honest then than all this keyboard warrior stuff we have today
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2018, 02:57 PM

For the first time evert,I went to a MacDonald's drive-through,this morning.
I did really well,considering I'd never been before. Hit just two tables and very lightly bumped the counter,as I did a three-point turn...#chuffed.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

23-03-2018, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Pug ->
For the first time evert,I went to a MacDonald's drive-through,this morning.
I did really well,considering I'd never been before. Hit just two tables and very lightly bumped the counter,as I did a three-point turn...#chuffed.
lovely pugsey - keep em comin! hows ya new laptop comin along?? ready for Utube??
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

23-03-2018, 04:07 PM

An elderly couple are having breakfast in their house, it’s their 50th anniversary, the man says to his wife, “ 50 years ago today we were sat at this very table both of us stark naked” , “I remember “ says the wife, “ shall we get naked again” so they both strip off and are sat there without a stitch on. “ you know my love” says the wife, “my breasts still burn for you like they did all those years ago “ “ well “ the husband replies, “ I’m not surprised, ones in your tea, and the others in your porridge “.

bom bum!

Page 554 of 1676 « First < 54 454 504 544 552 553 554 555 556 564 604 654 1054 1554 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top