Join for free
Page 7 of 370 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 107 > Last »
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2016, 05:45 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

A brisk walk to the hospital and back today. A round trip of about seven miles, maybe even eight.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2016, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I am having some problems though - I started doing pressups again about six months ago, I had been advised not to do them following my Heart Attack last year but figured that it was time to reinstate them. I managed to work up to fifteen after a couple of weeks, but I can still only manage fifteen or sixteen, I would have thought I'd at least be up to twenty by now. Any ideas?
I think the trouble is that once something is stopped, it is difficult to start again. This being especially so (I hate to say it) as one gets older.

Fitness levels can't be kept up forever I suppose. I mean, something between now and twenty years time will end all that wont it? Probably death in my case since I'd be ninety-one by then. Maybe the trick is to know when to stop pushing quite so hard.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2016, 10:48 PM

Yes good advice Mart, In twenty years time I'll be 86, the age that my Dad passed away but I reckon I could perhaps stretch it to 90 with a favourable wind. I never realised how hard press up's were when just a few years ago I could do them all day.
Decent walk by the way Mart.

Which leads me seamlessly into my effort today.
It started with a swift three mile run along the canal towpath, it was still frosty and the short grassy bit was rock hard - It's been getting quite muddy recently, so no need to clean the shoes when I got home. The time of 28 mins 07 secs was the quickest time this year so things are looking up.

Drove off to St Andrews Quay at Hull with O/H and under a clear sunny sky walked the three miles into the city centre. Don't let anyone tell you that Hull is not a very attractive city, the architecture is quite fascinating - unlike Doncaster they have retained and refurbished many of their old buildings and the city has many interesting historical stories attached to it, mostly nautical. I can recommend a jacket potato at the secret garden in the city centre. With appetite suitably satisfied we walked the three miles back to the car park at St Andrews Quay. The clouds gathered as we reached the car and managed to beat the rain.....This time.

A memorial to the sailors who sailed into dangerous waters to fish and later for their efforts during the two world wars.

Ships line up to transport British goods to the four corners of the world....

Princess Quay shopping mall with city hall in the background.

mart
Chatterbox
South of England

21-02-2016, 04:30 PM

Nice photos OGF. We have been to Hull. We went to see 'The Deep' (aquarium) and were very impressed with it. We then had a walk around near the quay. It was a sunny and warm day and I wish we could have spent longer there.

We have friends who live near Doncaster and we go to stay with them once every two years (they come down our way every other year to that). We have only stopped in Hull the once but we have a relative living in Withernsea who we go to see when staying with our friends. We have to drive past Hull on the ring road to get there. The route doesn't go over the Humber Bridge. The road we use goes under just where the bridge starts.

I'd like to ride my bike across the bridge but getting it there would be the problem. I don't fancy cycling up the A1 very much. Maybe I could hire a bike for an hour or two.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2016, 10:56 AM

Thanks Mart, I cycled over the Humber Bridge a couple of times, I did a round trip from where I live and it came out at 78 miles. A bit beyond my range now though. I had to look back through my log to find the details and although it doesn't seem so long ago, it turns out to be twenty years (1997) blimey how time flies!

I have driven that road to Withernsea a few times Mart, next time you visit you should go to Spurn Head just a bit further down the road. You can get right to the end and it's a magical place. Mostly inhabited by bird watchers now and the coastguard station, but I strongly recommend some beach combing on the fabulous beaches round the point.

You can also walk over the Humber Bridge, it's over a mile, and on a clear day there is some beautiful scenery, I go up there every now and then to clear my head.
You can park in the viewing area at Hessle on the Hull side, there used to be a good cafe' but it was closed the last time I visited.

Getting back to Sunday's exercise, I did an eight mile run first thing, and although it was raining while I was getting ready, it had stopped by the time I went out but it was so warm. I was glad I didn't put on a waterproof top. It would have ended up in the hedge bottom.
It turned out to be a good run for the most part and I enjoyed it, but the last mile had me struggling and it took it's toll for the rest of the day. So overall, not one of my best but I'll battle on, and hope it will get better as we ease into spring.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

22-02-2016, 05:19 PM

Thanks for all the information about the area. We'll most likely be around that way later this year and I'll bear it all in mind.

The greatest distance I ever cycled in one go was 54 miles from from Blackwater to Southsea (both places in Hampshire). This was the 1997 Wish Pedlars Charity Cycle Ride.

Today's ride was just the usual 10 mile one. The same route as always. A bit boring but the ridable tracks are limited at present because of the mud, slippery tree roots etc.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2016, 08:28 AM

I hope Floydy is Ok, it is easy do overdo it.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

07-03-2016, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I hope Floydy is Ok, it is easy do overdo it.
Yes Spitty, what has happened to Floydy? I even posted some photo's of Hull and I am surprised he hasn't responded..
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2016, 09:04 AM

Yes OGF, folks who post stuff of personal interest, usually are in for the long haul.
Rosey
Essex,UK
Rosey is female  Rosey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2016, 08:21 AM

Walking the dog....

Taoist Tai Chi at least twice a week....

Mart, you know me from another forum....as QuietMouse lol

Page 7 of 370 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 107 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top