Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2016, 05:51 PM

Re: Do you use your local Library?

I must go-it`s been years.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2016, 06:46 PM

Love my local library and if I don't go my other half brings me a couple of books when he's there.
I've never really fancied a kindle, it's just not the same as a bookcase full of books you can pick up when you want. Long live the libraries!!

Have to say ours is also a community hub so is changing - sign of the times, maybe - but still like a visit.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2016, 06:53 PM

When I get around to volunteering I'd like to visit people who can't get out and about and change library books for them.
I think I'd like that...
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2016, 07:04 PM

Occasionally, usually watch the Youtube vids loaded on here so they dont swallow my miserly download of 5GB.

Also tend to get the hardback books of authors i like,and theuy often have sales of books, dvd`s etc.
graculus
Yorkshire
graculus is male  graculus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2016, 07:26 PM

I use the library quite a lot for research. I also run IT sessions once a week, mainly for old dears, but I don't think any of them are on here, especially given their lack of computer skills.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2016, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Sounds my kind of shop, TessA. Guess its not near me though?
Devon's not that far from Somerset Tiff. They have a website too http://www.bookbarninternational.com/
but of course there's no smell to it!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2016, 10:36 PM

Thanks for the link, TessA, but don't get to Bristol much, in fact think I've only been once & that was a long time ago.
I also love going into second hand book shops, now they smell lovely, all musty & papery.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2016, 07:37 AM

I used to love our main library - huge, majestic and full of books. Joined when I was about 8yrs old and have belonged ever since. Used to drop in on my way from school to do my homework upstairs there in the 'reference' section because it was so peaceful.

Now they have turned the upstairs bit into a 'Local History/Genealogy' resource - which is interesting and very useful.

However - the main library on the ground floor has become a nightmare - more computers than books, coffee bar full of chavs playing with their mobile phones and totally ignoring their unruly brats racing around and causing chaos by pulling books from the shelves and sliding them about on the floor.

It has become a place to be avoided. The village library is small but good - it has limited stock but they are always willing to order books.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2016, 08:46 AM

Indeed I do! However, my local Council want to shut down our old quaint building, and put it into a new (most probably characterless) one within the housing estate nearby!! It also plans to incorporate the children's nursery, pharmacy, social hall, and a cafe. Hmmmmmm. We love our library as it is, thank you.

They claim it is a dark building (oh no it isn't), not fit for purpose (oh yes it is) and will cost a lot of money for upkeep. It is also part of the council's plan for everybody to be within 1.5 miles of a library, and cannot understand why footfall is low. Well, it might be due to the fact that even though we have an ever increasing population, that doesn't mean to say they want to use the library and its facilities. And I dispute their finding, anyway.

I went to a recent consultation and if we have our way, our library will remain open. One other one within the borough has had a 12 month reprieve due to local opposition, but they don't have an area nearby where a new one can be built.

I do wish these authorities would leave well alone!!!
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2016, 10:27 AM

Yes Jazzi I used to use the main one a lot when I was working and before ebooks. It was such an interesting place. I could pop in there on my way home to change my books.
There is still one in highams park, but there is talk of that being closed. We still have the main one in station road Chingford. The one in hall lane has been closed.
As I said earlier I rarely use them now.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top