Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 06:38 AM

The real cause of depression

I have thought this for many years now someone has written about it .
Basically a lot of depression is caused by the lack of meaningful
Work or activity .

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...st-connections
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 08:11 AM

Re: The real cause of depression

In terms of the points in the article, I agree about the effectiveness of anti-depressants and doesn't surprise me at all that companies cherry-pick research. But these days I believe that real depression is caused by chemical changes in the brain. It's the reasons that the chemical changes take place that should be the key to research. Such a complex subject!

Yes it could be down to lifestyle - all these internet wifi etc waves going through our bodies can't be helping.

I agree about being in control of your work and how that alleviates stress. But I do think our ability to cope with stress varies both based on the physiology of the brain (every brain being different) and our early environment. Who knows what all the chemicals we are exposed to do to the development of the brain in the womb.

Totally agree that modern society doesn't give people what they need.

Having a purpose in life helps but with true depression any purpose you have/had can suddenly feel meaningless.

Fahrenheit 451 is a very interesting book when looking at the effect of society on depression. In the book people exist in a controlled culture of technological distraction where deep meaning and learning have been banned. They regularly commit suicide and are brought back to life with their memories wiped. There is no true connection between human beings in their dystopian world. I keep feeling we are heading that way and no pill can fix the level of stress that causes.
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 08:55 AM

And a lot is cause by longterm physical illness and disabilities.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 09:10 AM

I don't think that wifi or internet has anything to do with it as depression has been known about for centuries .
The ancient Greeks knew about it and it has been described many times throughout history with various names .
melancholia ,despondency or even bad humours.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Lila ->
And a lot is cause by longterm physical illness and disabilities.
I do agree with Lila and that your health can determine your whole outlook on life. Living with constant pain or not being able to carry on with a normal life anymore due to illness symptoms will affect you mentally.

Although I agree that I've been desperately unhappy in my last two jobs, for reasons I don't want to talk about, it does not help your wellbeing if you are unhappy in your work as you spend so much of your time there.
There are many people who are doing jobs they hate and just get on with it as they have little or no choice.
But stress like that can have consequences to your health in general.

There are many other things as well that can affect your mental health.
If you lose all hope and cannot see the point of carrying on. If you feel so alone and just cannot cope with it, and there is of course the stigma of suffering from a mental health problem, which some cannot understand why mental health sufferers don't just pull their socks up and get on with it.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 11:21 AM

Melancholia has a strong genetic contribution so it's largely biologically underpinned rather than caused by social factors and/ or physical illness .
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I have thought this for many years now someone has written about it .
Basically a lot of depression is caused by the lack of meaningful
Work or activity .

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...st-connections
So how does that equate to the likes of Winston Churchill with his "Black Dog" depression? Lack of meaninful work???
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 11:30 AM

There are several real causes some people it's a real biological problem, others situational, illness and grief can start it off too.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 11:31 AM

Don't talk to me about depression, been there and had it big time. How is one supposed to cope when ones parents die within 6 months of each other, and ones wife having a threatened miscarriage all at the same time. On top of that trying to hold down a job during the day and visiting 2 hospitals and a hospice afterwards.
Worst time of my life. It felt like being inside a balloon mentally, and every time you wanted to get out side of it the balloon bounced you right back into its centre. No escape,that is how I felt about it. absolutely time never want to go there again
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Don't talk to me about depression, been there and had it big time. How is one supposed to cope when ones parents die within 6 months of each other, and ones wife having a threatened miscarriage all at the same time. On top of that trying to hold down a job during the day and visiting 2 hospitals and a hospice afterwards.
Worst time of my life. It felt like being inside a balloon mentally, and every time you wanted to get out side of it the balloon bounced you right back into its centre. No escape,that is how I felt about it. absolutely time never want to go there again
Yes I'm amazed people get through some times. You must be a strong person to have survived it real speed. Nothing to do with no meaningful work !

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top