Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2018, 02:05 PM

Mental Time travel

I don't know if any of you experience this feeling as I sometimes do?

Sometimes as I am just about to fall asleep, I can transport my thoughts back to a previous moment in my life (normally when I was a child). It's not just thinking about it, it's as though I am actually there, with sights, smell, sound and the feeling of comfort. It's very vivid but only lasts a few seconds. Then I'm back to reality.

There is a science regarding this called Chronesthesia although it includes transporting to the future which I don't believe is possible.

So, does anyone else experience this and what is it? A form of time travel or just our brain doing what it does best?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2018, 02:09 PM

Re: Mental Time travel

That's interesting dongle.

Can you do this at will, or does it happen involuntary?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2018, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That's interesting dongle.

Can you do this at will, or does it happen involuntary?
Hi Mups

It used to just happen but I have learned to control it. For instance, I can think back to a time at Christmas with Christmas trees and twinkly lights and if I am relaxed enough I can go back and feel as though I am actually there. As I say, it only lasts a few seconds.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2018, 03:34 PM

I can do that too, Dongles, I love it ! Often make notes about it afterward.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2018, 03:35 PM

Yes it happens to me a lot . Only this week I woke in the early hours and was the little girl of 8 who was left in hospital in Aden 3000 miles from UK . My parents were forced to leave me there and came home to England they were in the RAF . The night before they left dad came to say goodbye , I was traumatised I could not speak or look at him and had turned my back as I lay in the hospital bed . When I woke the other night I was that little girl again and sobbing with grief . It soon passed . I think we are still these children who have never dealt with trauma , or with such incredible senses of experiences passed .

My poor parents being forced to travel home without me , how traumatic for them . It was never talked about as I grew up and never mentioned when I was an adult . Obviously its left its mark on me somewhere deep inside
Adanac
canada
Adanac is female  Adanac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2018, 03:43 PM

I've never had that happen. I would think you would have to have a more relaxed personality for this to happen.

The going forward in time would be to my liking. See the results of the lottery or perhaps horse racing.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

05-02-2018, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I can do that too, Dongles, I love it ! Often make notes about it afterward.
Originally Posted by susan m ->
Yes it happens to me a lot . Only this week I woke in the early hours and was the little girl of 8 who was left in hospital in Aden 3000 miles from UK . My parents were forced to leave me there and came home to England they were in the RAF . The night before they left dad came to say goodbye , I was traumatised I could not speak or look at him and had turned my back as I lay in the hospital bed . When I woke the other night I was that little girl again and sobbing with grief . It soon passed . I think we are still these children who have never dealt with trauma , or with such incredible senses of experiences passed .

My poor parents being forced to travel home without me , how traumatic for them . It was never talked about as I grew up and never mentioned when I was an adult . Obviously its left its mark on me somewhere deep inside
Thanks for the replies.

It's always interesting to hear that others do in fact, share the same experiences and I find it is always difficult to explain things that happen within our own minds. Strangely, I don't experience any bad feelings, only good ones.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2018, 11:07 PM

Yes that has happened to me - Deja Vu
On a serious note I will post some research - Cos I feel generous.
Tomorrow Longlegs, you will have to wait.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

05-02-2018, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Yes that has happened to me - Deja Vu
On a serious note I will post some research - Cos I feel generous.
Tomorrow Longlegs, you will have to wait.
Ok!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2018, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Thanks for the replies.

It's always interesting to hear that others do in fact, share the same experiences and I find it is always difficult to explain things that happen within our own minds. Strangely, I don't experience any bad feelings, only good ones.

You sound as if it is more than simply remembering, it sounds quite a bit deeper than that.
It is interesting others are saying the same too.

I must ponder on this dongle. I am wondering if it is what they call 'Astral travel.'

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top