Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2018, 02:08 PM

Another good reason to keep your dog on a lead

One very lucky dog indeed.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/lucky-labr...164825683.html

edited for missing letter.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2018, 02:11 PM

Re: Another good reason to keep your dog on a lead

Lucky dog - but how irresponsible of the owner to allow it off lead near a railway !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2018, 02:23 PM

Goodness that's scary, we walk quite often near a motorway and railway, it's never occured to us to let any of them off anywhere near though, we always make sure we are well away before leads are released.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2018, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Lucky dog - but how irresponsible of the owner to allow it off lead near a railway !
Agree, luckily we don't have any railway lines around here but the only time our two are 'on lead' is when we are near a road.

Our two are elederly now, but young dogs are very prone to chasing deer. You would think everyone would know that wouldn't you !!!
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2018, 02:29 PM

Wow that is one lucky dog. Must have some cat genes in it with part of the cats nine lives.

That's the one thing that worries me if i got a greyhound again. My Slick was ok off the lead but if he saw a squirrel darting around I'm pretty sure he would have given chase and would have ignored any commands to come back. But at the same time i wouldnt feel right not letting a dog off the lead for a romp in a safe enclosed area

Heck, its taken me ages to type this out on my mobile. Touch keyboard too small.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2018, 06:56 PM

Wow, that is indeed one lucky dog!
I hope the owner learned something from this.

Our boys are never off leash when away from home. Too many wild critters here!
BoxerBoy
West Sussex UK
BoxerBoy is male  BoxerBoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2018, 08:21 PM

My dogs spend the majority of their time running free. I like to think however that I always put them on the lead when it is sensible to do so. Most important thing of them being off the lead is that I use my eyes and brain and they respond to my instructions and whistle very well.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2018, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by lovemyboys ->
Wow, that is indeed one lucky dog!
I hope the owner learned something from this.

Our boys are never off leash when away from home. Too many wild critters here!
ChoCho is rarely if ever off the lead, unless she is in a secure garden, ours or friends. Strange as it may seem she appears to be happier when on her lead, which is an extending one, I think she feels safer, plus of course there are always those people with dogs which are not on leads and make a beeline for her, completely ignoring their owners shouts to come back. The small dogs are not really a problem, but the large ones are a huge problem.

The law here is that all dogs should be on a lead when out in public places, but of course most people don't take any notice of that. Even the ones that should be muzzled by law are rarely muzzled. If something or some dog frightened ours she would run in panic, and I am simply not prepared to take that risk.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
ChoCho is rarely if ever off the lead, unless she is in a secure garden, ours or friends. Strange as it may seem she appears to be happier when on her lead, which is an extending one, I think she feels safer, plus of course there are always those people with dogs which are not on leads and make a beeline for her, completely ignoring their owners shouts to come back. The small dogs are not really a problem, but the large ones are a huge problem.

The law here is that all dogs should be on a lead when out in public places, but of course most people don't take any notice of that. Even the ones that should be muzzled by law are rarely muzzled. If something or some dog frightened ours she would run in panic, and I am simply not prepared to take that risk.
It's the law here too to have all dogs on leash in public places.
But most people seem to think that because we live in the wop-wops it's ok to let them be off leash/run free.

I get the large dogs coming at little dogs being a problem.
But there are little ones in our area that are a problem too.
We've had a few episodes when some have come at ours, and at us! Mr. LMB got a nasty bite once, and had to have stitches. And a tetanus shot.
The owners do nothing, laugh, and usually make comments about how their little dog thinks they're big, etc. Never has one of them apologised or tried to stop them.
Yet if one of ours even barks, we're horrible dog owners, and our dog is labelled as vicious.
Some owners (of all size dogs!) need a good kick where the sun don't shine!
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

18-02-2018, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by lovemyboys ->
It's the law here too to have all dogs on leash in public places.
But most people seem to think that because we live in the wop-wops it's ok to let them be off leash/run free.

I get the large dogs coming at little dogs being a problem.
But there are little ones in our area that are a problem too.
We've had a few episodes when some have come at ours, and at us! Mr. LMB got a nasty bite once, and had to have stitches. And a tetanus shot.
The owners do nothing, laugh, and usually make comments about how their little dog thinks they're big, etc. Never has one of them apologised or tried to stop them.
Yet if one of ours even barks, we're horrible dog owners, and our dog is labelled as vicious.
Some owners (of all size dogs!) need a good kick where the sun don't shine!
Indeed some owners do need a kick where the sun don't shine. "He won't hurt you, he's very friendly", "he just wants to play", etc etc, big or small, some people and their unruly dogs are a big, big nuisance. Others who approach or pass by with their dogs on leads, no problem. Often they stop to talk and it's so much nicer when the dogs can get the measure of each other whilst under control, we have met some nice people and nice dogs this way. Dogs running loose I don't like, and I don't care where they are. I personally have been pinned up against a tree by a German Shepherd whilst it's owner was shouting at it to come back and shouting at me "don't worry he won't hurt you".

Virtually every other day you can read on facebook that a dog is lost, ran off when frightened by a loud noise or something else. So, right or wrong, my dog will never be off the lead when out of her home environment, she is too precious to us, and she isn't big enough or brave enough to defend herself against boisterous, badly behaved dogs.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top