Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
BoxerBoy
West Sussex UK
BoxerBoy is male  BoxerBoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 03:18 PM

Re: Another good reason to keep your dog on a lead

I am pleased to say clumsy that I and so many dog owners on our local beach and promenade this morning totally reject your concept of dog ownership. Us humans all enjoyed the wonderful daily spectacle of watching our dogs meeting and playing happily, as they do day after day, The only sad factor was a number of small dogs on leads snapping and snarling as usual, with their owners having no idea how to help them, whilst lots of other small dogs joined in the fun, unaware of size differentials.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 03:41 PM

I can see both sides of this on/off lead debate.

When I had my GSD's, they were so placid, capable, and sensible and I never worried about other dogs approaching them, as I knew they could easily handle any situation, but strangely their presence never challenged.

BUT, over the last few years, since I have had this much smaller breed, with a different temperament altogether, I am much more wary. I never knew what it was like from a small dog owner's point of view.

No matter how reliable my dog's recall is, that doesn't stop large, heavy or aggressive breeds charging up to them with the owner half a mile away not doing a thing about it!

As I said, it never occured to me while I had big dogs, but now I have more understanding of owning smaller dogs, I can see why some owners worry.

I said on here a few years back, that one of Beddies was heavily pregnant and just strolling along gently with me ON A LEAD, when a very agressive, muzzled Staffie tore up and hit her like a train, completely bowling her off her feet. He then proceeded to try and tear her throat and stomach out through his muzzle. My girl didn't even know how to fight back.
Luckily, after an emergency trip to the vets, she didn't abort her puppies.

If she hadn't been on a lead, she may well have run for her life, it's instinct, and she would have quickly got too far away from me to defend her quickly enough.

There are some very badly bahaved small dogs I agree, but I don't think they can do anywhere near as much damage as a badly behaved powerful dog.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by BoxerBoy ->
I am pleased to say clumsy that I and so many dog owners on our local beach and promenade this morning totally reject your concept of dog ownership. Us humans all enjoyed the wonderful daily spectacle of watching our dogs meeting and playing happily, as they do day after day, The only sad factor was a number of small dogs on leads snapping and snarling as usual, with their owners having no idea how to help them, whilst lots of other small dogs joined in the fun, unaware of size differentials.
I am sure there are many responsible dog owners BoxerBoy, but unfortunately there are also many who are not responsible. I´m also sure there are many snappy small dogs, however mine is not one of them, she is very friendly but very timid, if dogs come sniffing around her and trying to jump on her she gets really frightened. We´ve had pleasant walks spoilt many times by unruly dogs that owners have not been in control of, be they small ones or large ones.

Also, as I mentioned in my post, the law here is that all dogs must be on leads when out in public, point out the large notices, in 3 languages to someone whose dog has had you spinning in circles trying to keep it off your dog and in return you get a mouthful of abuse.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I can see both sides of this on/off lead debate.

When I had my GSD's, they were so placid, capable, and sensible and I never worried about other dogs approaching them, as I knew they could easily handle any situation, but strangely their presence never challenged.

BUT, over the last few years, since I have had this much smaller breed, with a different temperament altogether, I am much more wary. I never knew what it was like from a small dog owner's point of view.

No matter how reliable my dog's recall is, that doesn't stop large, heavy or aggressive breeds charging up to them with the owner half a mile away not doing a thing about it!

As I said, it never occured to me while I had big dogs, but now I have more understanding of owning smaller dogs, I can see why some owners worry.

I said on here a few years back, that one of Beddies was heavily pregnant and just strolling along gently with me ON A LEAD, when a very agressive, muzzled Staffie tore up and hit her like a train, completely bowling her off her feet. He then proceeded to try and tear her throat and stomach out through his muzzle. My girl didn't even know how to fight back.
Luckily, after an emergency trip to the vets, she didn't abort her puppies.

If she hadn't been on a lead, she may well have run for her life, it's instinct, and she would have quickly got too far away from me to defend her quickly enough.

There are some very badly bahaved small dogs I agree, but I don't think they can do anywhere near as much damage as a badly behaved powerful dog.
Excellent post Mups and I agree with what you say. We have never allowed any dog we have had, large or small, to be an annoyance to others and of course there are unpleasant small dogs too, but they are not the danger that larger ones can be.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Excellent post Mups and I agree with what you say. We have never allowed any dog we have had, large or small, to be an annoyance to others and of course there are unpleasant small dogs too, but they are not the danger that larger ones can be.

Thanks Clumsy.
Even if a large, heavy dog is good natured and doesn't want to bite, it is the sheer muscle weight and force behind them when they hit a small dog that can still do damage.
SallyS
South East, UK
SallyS is female  SallyS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
I am sure there are many responsible dog owners BoxerBoy, but unfortunately there are also many who are not responsible. I´m also sure there are many snappy small dogs, however mine is not one of them, she is very friendly but very timid, if dogs come sniffing around her and trying to jump on her she gets really frightened. We´ve had pleasant walks spoilt many times by unruly dogs that owners have not been in control of, be they small ones or large ones.

Also, as I mentioned in my post, the law here is that all dogs must be on leads when out in public, point out the large notices, in 3 languages to someone whose dog has had you spinning in circles trying to keep it off your dog and in return you get a mouthful of abuse.
Big dogs off the lead and out of the control of their owners is a continuing problem we encounter whilst walking our dachshund. Owners will say they only want to play, but don’t realise a big dog playing with a small dog can end up with the small dog getting injured. We just scoop him up,
now if a big dog comes bounding over and walk swiftly away. So many dog owners are just plain ignorant and don’t really understand what “under control”means.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 04:25 PM

Our little Betty was attacked by off lead dog as far as I'm concerned that's it she will always be on a lead that I can pull her up into my arms by. Elsie is funny off lead if she gets more a few feet away she sits down and won't move until my husband puts her back on lead again. Her eyesight and brain damage make her too nervous to go far. Jenny seems fine off lead bug had another dog snap at the other day so again she'll not be off unless we can see there are no other dogs around.

Tbh I can't see a real problem keeping dogs on leads you can buy long training leads to let them range a bit.
BoxerBoy
West Sussex UK
BoxerBoy is male  BoxerBoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 08:02 PM

[QUOTE=Julie1962;

Tbh I can't see a real problem keeping dogs on leads you can buy long training leads to let them range a bit.[/QUOTE]

I find that comment so staggering, and the general tone here so contrary to everything I believe in that I think it best if I depart this conversation.

I shall continue with hundreds of other local owners running my dogs freely on the beach and in our downland as I have done for too many years. Whilst ensuring they behave themselves with respect for other dogs and their owners.

My dogs will continue to enjoy the freedom they are entitled to, should I decide close control is needed at any time, they will walk to heel until released. In situations of concern, they will be on lead for their safety. When was having a dog, any different.

Enjoy yourselves .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 08:22 PM

Well how you keep your dogs is entirely your own business but I know mine and I know my area, my Betty lost lot of her teeth not that long ago and had lacerations on her Timmy and back because a large dog picked her up and shook her, that rather puts a damper on seeing off lead dogs for quite a while.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

18-02-2018, 08:26 PM

Our local council does not allow dogs off lead in the parks any more, because there have been so many incidents and accidents caused by out of control dogs and their selfish owners.
They fenced off an area specially, and off-lead dogs can only go in there now.
Anywhere else in the park and they have to be kept on lead.

If I want mine to have a good run and let of some steam, I take them across the fields where they can run free to their hearts content, sniffing out good country smells.

I am much more wary since Izzy was attacked for no reason.
If that Staffie hadn't been muzzled he would have killed her, no question about it.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top