Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
BoxerBoy
West Sussex UK
BoxerBoy is male  BoxerBoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 01:18 PM

Re: Another good reason to keep your dog on a lead

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
We walk mostly between a motorway M3 and the A30 which forms a triangle with a mass of fast roads. A lovely common but very few areas I'd feel it was far enough from traffic to let mine off, or we go to the army land where you have to keep to paths or you could step on abandoned ordinance. One of mine years ago picked up a grenade ! That was scary.

I'd say no one should let dogs off leads in those areas. Your beach looks lovely but I'd have to drive a couple of hours to get to one.
I see you live in Surrey Julie,I have always thought of it as a wonderful place for walking and letting dogs run free , with the North Downs and the lovely Surrey Hills. I often walk there, only last week I had a great walk at Hascombe, miles of wonderful woodland, and a good pub
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by BoxerBoy ->
I see you live in Surrey Julie,I have always thought of it as a wonderful place for walking and letting dogs run free , with the North Downs and the lovely Surrey Hills. I often walk there, only last week I had a great walk at Hascombe, miles of wonderful woodland, and a good pub
Yes but unless we take a good twenty minute drive Surrey hills are out of the question. North downs even further away.

We try to keep the car drives down to a minimum really. Trying to be a bit greener. Summer is easier we are in Sussex a lot but I'd not let them off on the South Downs either because of livestock. Don't want them shot by a farmer.
BoxerBoy
West Sussex UK
BoxerBoy is male  BoxerBoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by SallyS ->
Dont you see that to a child, or a nervous adult, or a small dog, they look threatening?
No I don't Sally, generally I am astounded by the love and affection shown to them by all kinds of people, every where I go. You should see how long it takes me to walk through Chichester some days, everyone wants to talk about them and stroke them.

I appreciate that there are people who are frightened of dogs, and I will always do my best to alleviate their fears. However Boxers are much loved and have never been considered a dangerous dog, far from it, they are renowned for their close affinity with people. So any fear you have is I suggest of your making, not theirs.

Below is a picture of my dear old Harry, a true gentleman of a dog, who twenty odd years ago was standing with a few people and other dogs when a Staffie, much smaller than him, just walked into our group and without any warning savagely bit him at the top and bottom of his leg.

The incident did not make me label all dogs or other dogs as bad. There are lots of bad owners who inevitable have dodgy dogs and fail to manage them properly.

Let us be better than saying All Dogs.

Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 01:48 PM

Dont you see that to a child, or a nervous adult, or a small dog, they look threatening?
Sally I'm always very careful of others with mine even on leads. I had a complete phobia as a child of dogs so I'm always looking to see if people are comfortable of not. Even an on lead dog can freak some people out.
BoxerBoy
West Sussex UK

21-02-2018, 02:10 PM

Summer is easier we are in Sussex a lot but I'd not let them off on the South Downs either because of livestock. Don't want them shot by a farmer.
The South Downs are my principle stomping ground Julie, I tend to major on the beach in the winter and the Downs in the summer. The livestock is no problem for any half sensible dog owner, the place is awash with dogs and owners enjoying great walks.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

21-02-2018, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by BoxerBoy ->
The South Downs are my principle stomping ground Julie, I tend to major on the beach in the winter and the Downs in the summer. The livestock is no problem for any half sensible dog owner, the place is awash with dogs and owners enjoying great walks.
We walk out from our caravan I'd not want to upset the farmer there he has his sheep in the fields and his alpacas. The lambs are lovely and we walk over the fiends with the dogs on leads and we are all happy.
SallyS
South East, UK
SallyS is female  SallyS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 03:05 PM

Sally I'm always very careful of others with mine even on leads. I had a complete phobia as a child of dogs so I'm always looking to see if people are comfortable of not. Even an on lead dog can freak some people out.
Sadly not everyone is as caring as you towards other people.
SallyS
South East, UK
SallyS is female  SallyS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 09:56 PM

We walk out from our caravan I'd not want to upset the farmer there he has his sheep in the fields and his alpacas. The lambs are lovely and we walk over the fiends with the dogs on leads and we are all happy.
We have our caravan in Sussex 😀
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

21-02-2018, 10:10 PM

We have our caravan in Sussex 😀
Lovely isn't it !

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top