Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 12:09 PM

Keeping harnesses on all day

One of my more distant neighbours, two blocks away, told me last evening her dogs two staffers never have their harnesses off all day and sometimes all night.

Apparently it's a real struggle to get them on so she just leaves them on.

I use harnesses for my three it's never occured to me not to take them off as we come into the flat, we made it a bit of fun for them as pups, if anyone says lets get suited and booted they are straight to their places for having them put on. So we've never had a struggle.

I'm thinking it's cruel to keep the harnesses on but knowing how soft I am with ours I didn't want to say so in case I'm just being too soft about them.

What do all you dog lovers think am I being too soft ?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 12:20 PM

Re: Keeping harnesses on all day

It is quite dangerous to leave a harness on a dog all day. I don't even leave a collar on my dogs when they are in the house. I don't like harnesses anyway and have never used one. Simple collar and lead is best for us IMO. I hate the extending leads as well.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 12:26 PM

I've never used a harness either Aerolor.

Julie, I think your friend might be better off teaching her dogs to stand still and let their harness be fitted, rather than taking the lazy way out.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 12:30 PM

Well I'm a big fan of harnesses I won't walk any on mine on just a collar, I had a little one collapsed trachea due to a collar.

But it the keeping them on indoors bothers me, my dogs are naked in doors I just don't like idea they could get caught on anything.
BoxerBoy
West Sussex UK
BoxerBoy is male  BoxerBoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
It is quite dangerous to leave a harness on a dog all day. I don't even leave a collar on my dogs when they are in the house. I don't like harnesses anyway and have never used one. Simple collar and lead is best for us IMO. I hate the extending leads as well.
I agree with everything you have said Aerolor.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

23-02-2018, 01:45 PM

As it looks like I'm not being soft, I'll have to have a word. I don't think she's deliberately cruel just been left in charge of dogs she obviously can't manage.
BoxerBoy
West Sussex UK
BoxerBoy is male  BoxerBoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 01:59 PM

Can someone tell me why you would put a harness on a dog. Why is it necessary? what does it achieve ?
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 02:08 PM

I would have thought that having a harness on 24 hours a day would have affected a dogs coat, and could be possibly a little dangerous if unsupervised. Please tell me if I am wrong.

I've never had to use a harness on a dog as all my dogs walked well on the lead. I can understand that some dogs can be controlled better and are more comfortable being walked in a harness.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by BoxerBoy ->
Can someone tell me why you would put a harness on a dog. Why is it necessary? what does it achieve ?
I know many huskies and malamutes wear a harness and I can appreciate they need to pull into a harness when working. I think a harness encourages pulling, but maybe people believe it is kinder to use harness. There are certainly a lot of the smaller dogs who have them but I know they can easily cause matts and tangles on the longer coated dogs. If not carefully fitted a harness can easily chaff and cause soreness. Minimum use of a collar and lead is what I tend to favour - a cotton, braided gundog slip lead is ideal for my dogs - a golden retriever and a cockapoo. Both have been taught to walk properly on lead from being pups, which makes my life easy.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 02:27 PM

My dog can pull for England when she wants to and many people advised me to use a harness. I tried but all it achieved was her being able to pull from her chest so she was stronger.

She wears a collar all the time, even indoors, as sometimes when she's in the way I need something to grab. Also I have a fear she will get out and without a collar and tag she would be taken to the vets for scanning and then handed over to the dog warden etc and getting her back would be a complicated matter.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top