Join for free
effingpot
Hampshire, UK
effingpot is male  effingpot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2018, 11:39 PM

Chickens and the snow

Does anyone have chickens? I have 8 and the snow has made things interesting. The treadle feeder has been blocked by snow, water has frozen, the automatic door opener for the chicken house has stopped opening and closing! Apart from that all cool ☺
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2018, 11:48 PM

Re: Chickens and the snow

Hens and ducks here

The hens are sat sulking in their coop, venturing out for food and water only

Having to change the water buckets constantly at the moment as they keep freezing over. And the duck pond, having to break the ice off that

Feeding them all extra greens and protein at the moment to keep them healthy during this cold spell
effingpot
Hampshire, UK
effingpot is male  effingpot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2018, 11:54 PM

I put two candles under my water to keep it from freezing all day
effingpot
Hampshire, UK

03-03-2018, 12:09 AM

Chicken water raised over some candles with three bricks

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180302_114815.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	5283  
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2018, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by effingpot ->
Chicken water raised over some candles with three bricks
Cute photo....I haven't seen a chicken for at least 60 years...
I remember feeding them when I was a little girl. I loved them....I loved gathering the eggs from the hens....but sometimes the rooster would put me on the run....haha
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2018, 01:21 AM

I kept different poultry for about 40 years, and found they never liked the snow. They frequently wouldn't even venture out of their houses.
I would leave the hatch's open so they could come out if they wanted, and put plenty of straw down around the pop-hole.
I would also put the food and water inside their house till the weather improved.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2018, 09:49 AM

Poor things they originated from India I bet they wish they were back there !
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2018, 11:43 AM

My five hens won’t come out of their coops, so l have put food and water in their coops. I take a kettle of boiling water to defrost their water.

I never worry about them being cold as they wear duvets! They also huddle together on their perch.
effingpot
Hampshire, UK

03-03-2018, 12:25 PM

I did put their water in their coop the first night but in the morning it was liquid poop! They are not the most intelligent creatures! So I've not done that again as I don't want to them to poison themselves
I just bring the water in at night now and get up early to take it to them. Their door opens and closes automatically so I don't need to get involved with that (though a couple of days ago the battery went and they were locked in till about 8am!)

Their main water is a butt connected to the downpipe so it's constant fresh rainwater but that is frozen at the mo

The eggs keep coming though - no slow down this winter!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top