Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2018, 03:38 PM

Re: Council Tax

Lord alone knows when we will even get our rates bill this year. Think we got it end of May last year
Our council have suggested they won’t be increasing the rates but others are looking at a 3% rise
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2018, 03:41 PM

Our council stopped doing rebates for certain criteria . This a.m. I have phoned my council again, and been told that with having a son who is unable to work, I might be able to get a rebate as I am a pensioner.

Three yrs I have been trying to get some resolve on this. Each time, despite explaining all the details, I've been knocked back. Today however, they say I might be eligible and will send out an application form.

Somehow, I can't see anything coming this way. Use your saving first is the usual response. Once below £16,000 you can get all sorts ! They have been very uninformative on all occasions, either because 'little miss ' council employee does not know or can't be bothered doing the necessary enquires. Unfortunately, I don't think the councils are up for paying funerals yet but they may have to consider it in the near future !

So despite all the explanations I have given in the past, it seems to be the wording that's important. So I am now applying for 'second adult rebate'.

This might be helpful to some.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...-adult-rebate/

As previously mentioned by others, the reduction in services is abysmal, and despite the ongoing increases in council tax, we have to ask what the heck they are doing with the money other than 'consultation fees' . We have been paying for our garden waste bins to be emptied for years. It was £35 for one £60 for two bins to be paid in full in May. Last year it went up to £40 for each bin. I can't find a spare £80 in one month for this service from a state pension of £545 per month. Council tax now stands at £145 per month for me !
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2018, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Your CT seems low Muddy - Do you mmean £42-£48 per week, per month or per annum?

This is not the CT this is the charge for the garden waste bin!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2018, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
This is not the CT this is the charge for the garden waste bin!
Oh! I see. Our property tax has gone up by 5.5% this year, but it does include the waste bins.
Malc.27
Pembroke U.K.
Malc.27 is male  Malc.27 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2018, 07:21 PM

We live in Pembrokeshire and it appears that we will have to endure a twelve and a half per cent increase this year....
That's about £13 + per month increase.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2018, 10:04 PM

Five quid a month increase here. £83p.a. for `Adult Social Precept` and £126p.a for the cops and bit for the Parish Council. All the rest is wasted on high wages for execs, council loafers and pet projects. Bugger all spent on the roads except for loony traffic management systems which are killing off town centres.

I get 25% off for living on my own but they keep doing spot checks to see if I really am on my own
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2018, 03:44 PM

Single person living alone I know on £73.10 DWP benefit per week has just paid the £170 thereabouts demanded on the bill .
I think that's worked out as Single person reduction 25% off the total, but not sure how the sum of £170 has been reached.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2018, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Single person living alone I know on £73.10 DWP benefit per week has just paid the £170 thereabouts demanded on the bill .
I think that's worked out as Single person reduction 25% off the total, but not sure how the sum of £170 has been reached.
Hi

I find that just plain wrong if that is a monthly bill,she should be paying much less on so little income.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2018, 06:14 PM

According to my Council Tax Bill, instead of me owing them money, they apparently owe me £4.05.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2018, 06:17 PM

given with one hand and snatched out of the other, so no chance of having a bit more cash for food or anything.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top