Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Kath 131
Preston, Lancashire
Kath 131 is female  Kath 131 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2012, 02:11 PM

Looking for a Book

I'm on a mission to find a book and these are the details a bit vague but would appreciate if anybody could help.

Series of books by Happy Venture which were childrens books in the 50'5/60's.

Title unknown but the story is about Nasturtiums growing out of a boot and on the roof. People thought it was a fire and called out the fire brigade.

One of the authors is Fred J Schonell.

Have tried all the usual searches but nothing so far, do any of you recall this book?

Thank you.
Kath
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2012, 02:47 PM

Re: Looking for a Book

Is there anything here that may help Kath?

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=22441.0
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2012, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Kath 131 ->
I'm on a mission to find a book and these are the details a bit vague but would appreciate if anybody could help.

Series of books by Happy Venture which were childrens books in the 50'5/60's.

Title unknown but the story is about Nasturtiums growing out of a boot and on the roof. People thought it was a fire and called out the fire brigade.

One of the authors is Fred J Schonell.

Have tried all the usual searches but nothing so far, do any of you recall this book?

Thank you.
Kath
Kath I think these were the Dick and Dora books which I hated with a passion
Ahhh stilted wording ...http://www.sterlingtimes.org/dick_and_dora.htm

There are some on Amazon if you do a Google search for Happy Venture looking at the titles may jog your memory as to which book you are looking for .
Kath 131
Preston, Lancashire
Kath 131 is female  Kath 131 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2012, 03:47 PM

Thank you Berxer and Meg, had a look on the websites people know the story, just not the title of the book unfortunately.

Meg have tried google it gives a lot of info on Happy Venture books but not this particular story.

Will keep looking.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2012, 08:37 PM

Have you tried asking a children's librarian?
Kath 131
Preston, Lancashire

27-02-2012, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->
Have you tried asking a children's librarian?
Thanks Annie Jack and don't know why I didn't think of that I am a member of the local library and read a lot myself I can try a search online first.

If I can't find it then I will visit the childrens section in the library and let them try as they are more knowledgeable at searching for stuff.

thanks.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2012, 06:42 PM

Good luck! Might be worth stopping in at a used book dealer too. If they don't have it they might be able to track down a copy.
Kath 131
Preston, Lancashire

29-02-2012, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->
Good luck! Might be worth stopping in at a used book dealer too. If they don't have it they might be able to track down a copy.
Funny you should suggest that Annie, I have just received a book I ordered from Amazon so I have emailed the book dealer to see if they can help me track it down.

I'm actually doing this as a favour for a friend, but I enjoy Sherlock Holmes jobs! and don't give up easy. lol

Thanks for your help.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

29-02-2012, 05:14 PM

There was another series of books by Fred J. Schonell co-written with Phyllis Flowerdew which might have been for the American market.

They were called Wide Range Readers as opposed to the Happy Venture Readers series.

One of the stories somewhere in those is about the man who grew nasturtiums in his boots that subsequently covered his entire house.
Unfortunately I have no idea exactly what the book you are after is called.
There are a lot to plough through, Green Books 1 onward, Blue Books 1 onward and so on.

Hope this helps a little.

George
Kath 131
Preston, Lancashire

02-03-2012, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer ->
There was another series of books by Fred J. Schonell co-written with Phyllis Flowerdew which might have been for the American market.

They were called Wide Range Readers as opposed to the Happy Venture Readers series.

One of the stories somewhere in those is about the man who grew nasturtiums in his boots that subsequently covered his entire house.
Unfortunately I have no idea exactly what the book you are after is called.
There are a lot to plough through, Green Books 1 onward, Blue Books 1 onward and so on.

Hope this helps a little.

George
Thank you George, much appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top