Join for free
Page 8 of 26 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 18 > Last »
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2015, 12:45 AM

Re: Usernames

My older brother always called me Maggot ( when we were kids) but I prefer Maggie, which is my given name and it always seems to be taken on any forum I join .... don't usually share too much personal info anyway
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2015, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by maggis ->
My older brother always called me Maggot ( when we were kids) but I prefer Maggie, which is my given name and it always seems to be taken on any forum I join .... don't usually share too much personal info anyway
I wouldn't like to repeat what my older brother called me!
I'll stick to Silver Tabby - I used to have one.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2015, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Beki ->
Bet he is the one now on the Money Supermarket ad!
Well I may be half asleep but
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2015, 06:58 AM

Anyone is free to call me OG or StephAn-but Stephen -whoops-not nice.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2015, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by dukeofearl ->
If it did I would be addicted to over 50forums, they would be my reason for living, the reason I get up in the morning. I would spend all day staring at the screen waiting for a person to make one small word out of place so I could move it or remove it. Most I would refuse to admit that I was addicted, then perhaps you would be correct and I would be suffering insanity.
Ahhhhg.. It must be me. Is there a cure, I need medical help?
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2015, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
Ahhhhg.. It must be me. Is there a cure, I need medical help?
Naa, reading your profile and hobbies you sound refreshingly normal Slope Soarer.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2015, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by dukeofearl ->
Naa, reading your profile and hobbies you sound refreshingly normal Slope Soarer.
Thanks. I feel so relieved.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2015, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by maursey ->
I personally don't see much difference from using your own name or a user name. How would anyone know anymore about you by using your real name so long as you don't tell them your surname or where you live.
Maursey, I understand what you are saying, however you'd be surprised how much of a profile people leave all over the web. The problem is that we forget. Little snippets of information we made innocently years ago remain out there in the cyberworld and it all adds up to a bigger picture.
Older people in particular are more vulnerable because they forget more easily what they have previously posted.

I would happily give you a demonstration by telling you something about yourself but it would be wrong of me to post personal info on a forum like this without your permission.

However I believe I can tell you the following:

- your surname
- where you live
- where one of your granddaughters live
- the nursery school she went to
- where your sister in law lives

You like birds and enjoy watching them on the bird table in your garden through the window of your kitchen on whose window sill you keep 2 candlesticks.

Your neighbour has a red car and has a low wall made of those concrete blocks made in a flower design.

Maybe I am mistaken I don't know.

If any of things rings true, I don't mean to overly worry you. It is simple information readily available from what you have out out there. There is absolutely no reason anyone would be interested in it.

I'm simply highlighting that it is perhaps best not to put anything of a personal nature out there, but each to their own.

ATB
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2015, 09:16 PM

I really don't understand this paranoia about hiding your identity on-line. Is there someone out there trying to get me? If so how about my neighbour - he knows my name, where I live and my routine. Maybe he's out to get me - I must get steel doors and 6 guard dogs.......ridiculous! Living your life as though the worst is going to happen must be so debilitating.
maursey
hertfordshire
maursey is female  maursey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2015, 09:17 PM

Completely mistaken.

Page 8 of 26 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 18 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top