Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2013, 09:53 AM

It's Technololgy Captain But Only As We Know It

A Star Trek communicator device is being launched that the manufacturers think will revolutionise commincations.

“Smartwatches” could well be the next big thing in technology - turning the wristwatch from a humble time-telling gizmo into something much more.

Samsung is the first big company to “break cover” - but others are set to follow, bringing email and apps to our wrists, and offering the world a taste of “wearable computing”.

Samsung has confirmed it will be announcing its Galaxy Gear smartwatch during Berlin’s IFA trade show next week and it will, they promise, “enhance and enrich the current smart mobile experience in many ways. It will lead a new trend in smart mobile communications”.

Samsung aren’t the first to do it - and won’t be the last, given the rumours of an Apple iWatch which have bubbled along so persistently.

Would you be interested in this piece of tech?

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/samsung--sm...0.html#omWn0kR
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2013, 09:58 AM

Re: It's Technololgy Captain But Only As We Know It

I have a wind up watch with a proper watch face and only turn my basic mobile phone on in emergencies or once a month to check the battery is OK. So I think from that you can deduce I won't be rushing to buy one of these
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2013, 10:37 AM

Neither would I Julie. My phone is as basic as they come and I forget to take that with me half the time! My daughter and granddaughters on the other hand - I can see they'd love it!
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2013, 11:39 AM

I like it and think it's bound to take off big time. But I wouldn't personally want one. I've never got to grips with smart phones, in fact my mobile is so basic, I am embarrassed to use it in public!!!! It's only ever for emergency use.
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2013, 12:21 PM

I wouldn't bother with it... after 12 months or so it'll probably be obsolete anyway and we'll have pre programmed personal microchips inserted so we're contactable by gov/police from anywhere
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

05-09-2013, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by angieh ->
I like it and think it's bound to take off big time. But I wouldn't personally want one. I've never got to grips with smart phones, in fact my mobile is so basic, I am embarrassed to use it in public!!!! It's only ever for emergency use.
Same here. I can see the younsters and the techies being really taken with. I think it won't be too long before we all have those Star Trek brooches that we'll just tap to get a call through - now I'd have one of those (what about radiation leakage though - might rethink that one).
billsteamshovel
Rural Australia
billsteamshovel is male 

05-09-2013, 10:14 PM

I like my iphone,it also functions as a modem and camera,plus it makes phone calls,it always suprises me new technology,it is aimed at a certain market and its not really retired seniors,i always remember my old Grannie in Liverpool trying to read her watch,she was in her 80's half blind and deaf,and she had a watch that even i couldent read, a dial that was so tiny,no bigger than a farthing,unreal.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2013, 02:08 AM

If they carry on with these new technical ideas we'd all end up looking like The Borg. I can just imagine babies being given brain implants at birth in order to communicate rather than be bothered to learn how to speak or verbalise in any way. It has to stop I tell ye!

However, I do wish they'd get cracking on one of those multi-lingual wotsits, but my favourite would be a replicator. I could have so much fun with one of those.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2013, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
A Star Trek communicator device is being launched that the manufacturers think will revolutionise commincations.

“Smartwatches” could well be the next big thing in technology - turning the wristwatch from a humble time-telling gizmo into something much more.
Watch companies have to do something it is only us silly old farts that wear wrist watches, under 30s never do and rely on their phones for the time.

While I do wear a wristwatch (not a wind up one) I would not be without my smart phone and I am looking forward to the day that I can get rid of my home phone which should be soon. I use only my smart phone for calls because it is so much cheaper and the phone also keeps me up with the Internet, train/bus times, Facebook and half a dozen other things.

When the NBN arrives at my house (hopefully next month) my home phone will go on VOIP and line rental will be a thing of the past.
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2013, 02:37 PM

It really comes to something when your possessions are smarter than you.

It also comes to something when you realise your underwear is older than everybody around you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top