Join for free
Page 444 of 1676 « First < 344 394 434 442 443 444 445 446 454 494 544 944 1444 > Last »
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 10:43 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Never work with animals or children.

You may have noticed that I often refer to sayings and wisdom given to me by my dear departed Grampy. He passed on from this mortal coil fifty five years ago and yet his witticisms and good advice live on.
He was immensely well informed. Art, Politics, Education, Finance. All these areas of human endeavour were familiar to him. Name a subject and he had an opinion on it. He has over the course of my adult life, equipped me with a readymade treasure house of points of view, irrefutable facts, and acutely observed muses and exquisitely witty conversation stoppers. , terminological in exactitudes. Regrettably some were, yes, only some. Now it is time for his valediction. As my Grampy used to say, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" On my fifth birthday, I very cleverly asked him for a magic wand. Without hesitating he replied "But you are not old enough to have a magic wand" Even now I think that was incredibly accurate, and an uncanny prophecy relating to a generation to come after his, wanting it all and wanting it now. I digress.
There is no doubt in my mind that in truth, he may have actually said some, if not all of those priceless sayings. Certainly, he thought of saying some of those things. That is to say, he may have used some of those words. Not of course necessarily in the exact order have that I have used them, or in the same context. This may be a clue to the gradual revelation of this my confession to you. I was very fond of my Gramps. I would like people to think that he was an oracle and general fount of wisdom and knowledge. For example he was going to tell me how the camel got his hump and how the leopard his spots. This was when I was only ten years old. Many years later I found out that, Rudyard Kipling pinched Grammy’s idea and published it. The more astute reader, or in today's circumstances, listener, will by now be forming their own view of events.
Be generous. As a spotty and painfully thin, callow youth I discovered the gravitas afforded an otherwise lightweight verbal aside, by a well timed , and appropriate,
"As my old Grampy used to say”,
This ruse often carried the debate. The addition of stroking my spiky chin and nodding silently, yet sagely helped enormously. My boldness grew with each passing sparkling quotation; I became addicted to and dependent on this ruse. ... One day I announced grandly. "My Gramps told me to never work with animals or children" Silence. Drat, of course it was actually said by that actor chap, W. C. Fields. This is where I came in. Years ago I attributed any worthwhile saying to my Gramps, no matter who originally spouted forth, Gramps received the credit. '
In the ominous silence that followed I heard myself repeating, “My Gramps told me to never work with animals or children"
I do not why I said that, even as I spoke, I knew it was not true. I have now grown up and let Gramps rest in peace. As my Gramps used to say. "
Robert, what are you waffling on about now? “Bless ....
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 10:49 PM

My Long suffering wife

I met my wife when we were working in a posh department store in 1967. She was a vision of loveliness, pure glamour and femininity. Ash blonde, like the film star Shirley Eaton. I know it was ash blonde because after we married in 1972 I saw ASH Blonde written on the label of the hair dye bottles
My wife, Gill, had been married to me for 27 years when I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease. It was a bit of a shock to me, but being a nurse, Gill had seen the symptoms for some time and the consultant’s diagnosis merely confirmed her suspicions. Earlier this year we went shopping in a posh store. Gill wandered off and left me.
I did genuinely feel a bit faint and was happy for a dear lady sales assistant to find me a seat and chat to me, all the while grasping my hand firmly, and quite tenderly I thought.
After a short while Gill came striding towards me. I signalled for her to go away.A few moments passed. I murmured weakly to ask that blonde lady over there if she was my wife? Gill sighed and led me away for a cup of tea and a slice of cake.
We went to a different posh store the following week and I found myself. alone again. I felt faint. I really did! When Gill came back to find me in a chair being comforted by a dear sales lady she walked right past me.
When asked by the assistant if she was my wife, she looked, I thought, genuinely surprised and snorted.
“I’ve never seen him before in my life” I can’t say I blame her.
Robert Jnr.
UK

19-01-2018, 10:53 PM

Readers will no doubt be aware that these last 2 posts were extracts from my diaries and journals .
I am experiencing writers block atmo.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 11:19 PM

Writers Block, phfuuf, you ever had Writers Block and Tackle??
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 11:44 PM

You were lucky with your Grandad RJ, not to mention the lovely Gillian, my paternal Grandad was a cranky old git who had no time for children, the complete opposite to his ever caring wife, the granny, you hear me mention her a lot.
Never knew my Mothers dad, he was gassed in the trenches in the first world war and died shortly after being sent home to Dublin, his wife was left with 4 young girls to rear, my mother was the youngest, I believe he was a caring loving gentleman, who knows maybe I’ll bump into him in the next life.

Why were the two stagnant writers having a scrap outside the pub?
They were trying to knock each others block off.
Terrible I know, but original.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 11:48 PM

Yes, originality goes a long way, pity it ain't organic.
Robert Jnr.
UK

20-01-2018, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Writers Block, phfuuf, you ever had Writers Block and Tackle??
Sounds tricky.

"Would you care to whistle it for me"
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

20-01-2018, 08:48 AM

I will, as soon as I work up a head of phuuf.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

20-01-2018, 09:06 AM

RJ, meant to tell you, at present I'm fashioning a Didgeridoo, out of an Olive Branch.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

20-01-2018, 09:23 AM

Also, I think I have found the cause of much attrition in the world.

It's the Ridges in the Ruffles
That causes the Kerfuffles.

Page 444 of 1676 « First < 344 394 434 442 443 444 445 446 454 494 544 944 1444 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top