Join for free
Page 494 of 1676 « First < 394 444 484 492 493 494 495 496 504 544 594 994 1494 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2018, 11:11 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Don't only the Good die Young?
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2018, 01:33 AM

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2018, 04:49 AM

boo hoo to you RR

As I was going to widdicombe fair
I met this gay boy with long fur hur
He asked me which did I prefer?
And I replied”don’t really care”

Chorus – insert own chorus if you dare!

We walked along to Widdicombe fair
Hand in hand without a care
Folly me? Folly me
Will I be me when we get there?
Then suddenly I became quite queer
Folly Di folly di

Oh this is surely one big folly
But I’m in too deep – fallen off me trolley
But the sun still shone and his hair was golden
And I knew right then my heart he’d stolen

And when we got to Widdicombe fair
He saw dear Ralph standing over there
And said goodbye without a care
I’d been stood down at Widdicombe fair

Folly me folly me
Yes I know it just don’t seem to fair
But silly old me without a care
Wandered at will and will waved back
Was this yet another folly as I looked back?

© author unknown!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2018, 08:42 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqwJoEGyGMY

Been better sticking to the Follyfoot Ethos if you ask me.
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2018, 09:53 AM

I am hav.... a littl.. tr..le wit m ink s..ppply

bbl
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2018, 09:53 AM

Jem I saw on a telly programme 'How it is made' that the jewelry trade are having trouble getting apprentices these days, and some parts of the old craft are not being passed on so will be lost.

Some people from the past do tend to dwell in your mind for whatever reason be it good or bad. Nice when it is for a good reason. Not so nice when it's the other.

RobertJnr. Nice summing up there of an evening at the Opera I am sure that the poor lady on finding her seat collapsing must have hit a high C similar to the talented Mado Robin.

I am a bit sniffy with opera and have my likes and dislikes, y'now the type that mutters, "don't like her, but like him. too low, too high" and so on.

Over the years I have brought it down to the kind of hearing I have, so as Soprano sits comfortably in my sensitive lug holes I mainly listen to that and can get quite carried away at times and have even been known to lip synch Zerbinetta in my bath with a technical mastery that would amaze you

Neither Maria Callas nor Joan Sutherland ever quite conjured in me up the adored adulation they received from others. Not sure why but it was no doubt their timbre, although in Callas it was more the women herself.
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2018, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Quote from Ken Russells obit

He gave the impression that he cared not a damn. Those who knew him better, however, knew that he did. Underneath all the showbiz bluster, he was an old softie. Or, perhaps as accurately, a talented boy who never quite grew up.

Your mothers letters prove this to be a true description
Solo,
thanks for that link, verifying my nfo.
I mention so many interesting people that i have known that I sometimes wonder if it all really happened

BTW
One afternoon I joined them for afternoon tea & we discussed the operas e has directed. My favourite was and is the staging of "Cav & Pag" which he told me he had directed more than once

see 4924
Nothing lacking in this performance in my humble opinion. All credit to the Theatre Royal & City Opera for staging this rather neglected work. Lakmé by Léo Delibes has suffered in the same way as all the other misunderstood gems branded a one tune Opera. The flower song in this case. Cruelly when you think of Cav & Pag forever staged jointly & known mainly for the Intermezzo in Cavalleria Rusticana by Pietro Mascagni, and Vesti la giubba from I Pagliacci by Ruggierio Leoncavallo.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2018, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Jnr. ->
Solo,
thanks for that link, verifying my nfo.
I mention so many interesting people that i have known that I sometimes wonder if it all really happened

BTW
One afternoon I joined them for afternoon tea & we discussed the operas e has directed. My favourite was and is the staging of "Cav & Pag" which he told me he had directed more than once
The trouble is when telling of past experiences at our age you are sometimes looked at in disbelief.and that look of 'You actually had a life' comes on some faces.

Many did not know of Ken Russells involvement in Opera. quote from him - see link below

Opera is just like the musicals, only the music is better, and if they're produced properly, they're much more exciting. I've always tried to make opera a human story so that people feel emotionally involved. It mustn't be unbelievable because people need to relate to the characters. Ken Russell, 1987.

link
http://www.iainfisher.com/russell/ke...-tv-opera.html
Robert Jnr.
UK

17-02-2018, 10:53 AM

I know exactly what you mean......exactly

Anything conversation involving my DOB & I get looked at with frown of disbelief, akin to obituaries that highlight the impression of many that.....

"I thought (e.g.Kirk Douglas) died years ago"

according to WIKI KD iis still alive at 103 oooopps
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

17-02-2018, 11:36 AM

sweetie pie has PM'd me saying she is finding it difficult to follow a theme here - strange - I always thought this thread was one of the original theme parks??

Page 494 of 1676 « First < 394 444 484 492 493 494 495 496 504 544 594 994 1494 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top